20. Lie and Dine

Takeout was what was on the menu since neither of them had an opportunity to cook before Laylin would show up. Shortly after they arrived back at the house, Jungkook ordered food off Taehyung's phone since he offered to pay for the meal. Right after Jungkook had placed the order, he heard the buzzer sound at the front gate. Taehyung moved to let Laylin in by entering the code in the security box by the door once he saw her image on the small security feed window. He then moved to open the front door as she slowly made her way up the walkway.

Taehyung noticed that she was much more timid than he had ever seen her before. She had a purse in her hands and was holding it in front of her as she clutched the life out of it. Even though the door was open, her eyes were skittering every which way to look at the shadow covered front lawn.

"Hi Laylin," said Taehyung, hoping the familiar face he currently had would give her comfort.

Laylin's eyes turned to look at him then as she gave a thin smile in return.

"Are you Taehyung's door greeter now?" teased Laylin softly, gripping her purse even tighter as she stepped inside as Taehyung stepped aside.

"I suppose so," he said with a grin, shutting the door behind her.

Laylin stood in the entryway, looking all about a place she had only seen before in snapshots off the internet or the like. Her eyes stopped their gazing about the place when they landed on Jungkook standing in the doorway to the living room. He had his hands clasped behind his back currently as the two of them locked eyes for a moment. Laylin was the one that broke the gaze first as a blush tinted her cheeks.

"Thank you for inviting me over," said Laylin as she looked down at her feet as she began to toe off her shoes.

"You don't have to take your shoes off," said Taehyung as Laylin turned to look at him oddly.

"This isn't your house, Kookie. I feel like I need to."

"He's right. You don't need to take your shoes off. Really," said Jungkook as Laylin looked back over at him.

She paused for a moment before nodding her head and keeping them on her feet. Awkwardness settled between the three of them as Taehyung shot Jungkook a look when Laylin looked away from him.; a look that clearly read 'say something, you idiot.' Jungkook cleared his throat and walked over to them.

"I'm not being a very good host. Forgive me. Please come in and make yourself comfortable."

Jungkook led Laylin and Taehyung into the living room. He gestured for them to have a seat on the couch. As soon as she sat down, Taehyung moved to sit beside her. Jungkook had to keep his irrational jealous side at bay right then. He was sure that Taehyung was just doing that to help Laylin feel more relaxed.

"I'm very confused how you two are such good friends," said Laylin. "I mean, you were in a car accident together sure, but now we're at Taehyung's house."

"Hey, it's lonely by myself," said Jungkook with a shrug of his shoulders. "Besides, Jungkook is a good dude."

He felt slightly narcissistic saying that; relieved when the gate's buzzer went off again. Jungkook moved to go out to the entryway to look at the security box by the door, only then realizing that he didn't know how to unlock the gate from this side of things. Jungkook turned to look back towards the living room to notice that Taehyung was looking at him. Laylin was still facing forward so she didn't see Taehyung drop a hand behind the couch and start signaling the security code to Jungkook with his fingers. Jungkook watched Taehyung flash him a few numbers with his fingers before punching the code into the security box. He opened the door after, taking the food from the man standing there. He then walked out into the kitchen where he began to lay takeout containers on the kitchen island. Taehyung and Laylin were soon out in the kitchen beside him.