33. All I See

When Taehyung and Jungkook made it back to where Laylin was, they saw that she had laid out the food from the picnic basket. Even though Jungkook had been apologizing to Taehyung all the way back, he still said another apology as he sat down on the blanket because he knew Laylin deserved one too.

"Jungkook, don't apologize," said Laylin in response as she put a hand quickly on his knee. "It was rough news to take in. Just remember that you have us and your amazing mother in your corner."

Jungkook smiled, nodding his head. The three of them went to town eating the spread before them after while enjoying the mild day and the sounds of nature. Just as they finished eating, Jungkook heard his phone go off. Digging it out of his pocket, he saw that it was Jimin. He sighed, answering it.

"Where are you?" Jimin demanded.

"Somewhere," said Jungkook vaguely as he looked over at Taehyung who was wondering who it was. Seeing that look of curiosity on Taehyung's face, the next thing Jungkook said was, "Jimin, everything will be fine."

"Fine?! Everything is not fine. Did you get a sudden case of amnesia? Do you not remember the dinner last night? I mean, if you need a refresher it's everywhere..."

Jimin was saying more, but Jungkook was tuning it out as he looked over to see Taehyung holding out his hand for the phone. Jungkook handed it off; Taehyung putting it to his ear once it was in his possession.

"Jimin, breathe," said Taehyung as he moved to stand.

He excused himself and disappeared off into the trees a little ways away, leaving Jungkook and Laylin by themselves. Taehyung's voice became distant as he walked further away to deal with Jimin in peace. Laylin looked over at Jungkook before beginning to put things back in the picnic basket.

"How are you feeling now?" Laylin asked.

"Better, I guess," said Jungkook. "It's just a lot to think about. I appreciate what you said though."

"Well it's the truth," said Laylin with a small smile as she finished with the puttering, looking at Jungkook.

Jungkook began to fidget with the cuffs of the homemade sweater he was wearing. Laylin shifted closer to him on the blanket until she was sitting right beside him, placing one of her hands over one of his to stop his fidgeting. Jungkook lifted his head so the two of them could lock eyes.

"What are you thinking right now?" asked Laylin.

"That's a loaded question," said Jungkook with a weak smile.

"Well fire away then," said Laylin. "You can trust me."

"I know I can," said Jungkook, letting out a sigh. "It's just that - on top of everything else going on - I still can't help thinking back on the whole soul purpose thing the psychic told us."

When Laylin didn't act surprised about the mention of a soul purpose, Jungkook arched a brow.

"Why aren't you surprised by me talking about a soul purpose?"

"Taehyung and I talked briefly about it on the way over," said Laylin. "It was one of the few pieces of conversation we managed to have."

Jungkook nodded as he looked down at Laylin's hand which still laid over the top of his.

"What if Taehyung and I can't figure out the soul purpose thing?" continued Jungkook. "What if we're stuck like this?"

"We'll figure out a way to fix things," assured Laylin as she too looked down at their hands. She gently wrapped her fingers around the hand she was on top of.

"But if we don't..." started Jungkook softly before trailing off.

"But if we don't what?" asked Laylin.

She lifted her head as he did, locking her eyes with his again. She saw the pain he was trying to mask within his eyes, but she saw that there was also another emotion there that she couldn't quite place.

"Will I lose you?" Jungkook whispered.

The question hung between the two of them for a moment as Laylin felt her heart pick up speed within her chest. Surely she heard him wrong.

"What did you say?" she asked as she now only just seemed to notice how close their heads were to each other; how his warm breath was wafting over her lips and sending a chill through her body.

"Never mind," said Jungkook as he shook his head, turning his gaze away from Laylin to face the water.

Laylin paused for a second, withdrawing her hand from where it was on Jungkook's. She let the silence settle between them for a moment before finally asking, "Why did you say never mind?"

Jungkook kept his eyes on the water as he took a deep breath and let it out in a sigh.

"I shouldn't be saying this right now, but I can't keep it inside anymore. Laylin, I like you. Heck, I love you," he said. "I have for a long while. I just never said anything, and now I've said it so if you say it back you're gonna just probably be saying it either to humor me and not make me feel bad or because I'm in your favorite idol's body so it will be like some sort of dream come true for you..."

Jungkook stopped his babbling when he noticed Laylin standing up out of the corner of his eye. He turned his head away from the water to look at her. Her face was impassive as she moved to stand in front of him.

"What are you doing?" he asked as she moved to sit down again. However - instead of sitting on the blanket - she sat on his lap so she was facing him, putting one leg on either side of his hips. Her hands went up to his cheeks, cupping them as her eyes flicked over his face; their chests and heads just a few inches apart.

"Jungkook, I want you to listen to me," she said. "I love you too, and you may be in my favorite idol's body right now, but that's not why I'm saying that. I'm saying it because I really do love you. Even though you have Taehyung's face, I don't see him when I look at you. All I see is you, Jungkook."

Jungkook could feel the doubts begin to ring in the back of his mind again, but he forced himself to ignore them. He couldn't swallow this feeling anymore, especially not when she just told him she loved him too.

'Taehyung forgive me,' thought Jungkook.

"All I see is you..." Laylin repeated; no more words falling from her mouth as Jungkook leaned forward to close the remaining distance separating them to crash his lips against hers.

Both of their eyes fell shut as they shared a heated kiss. As the kiss continued to grow in passion, Jungkook moved his hands so that the palm of one rested flat against her back while the other tangled in her hair; Laylin wrapping her arms about him and tangling her fingers in the back of the homemade sweater he was wearing. They both disappeared into the moment; their hearts seeing each other and nothing else.

 They both disappeared into the moment; their hearts seeing each other and nothing else