45. Facing The Music

Taehyung and Jungkook stood at the head of the conference table together as the label executive and Taehyung's parents stared back at them. Drifting through the air currently were the audio samples that they had sent them. Jungkook thought it odd hearing his own voice on the tracks with Taehyung. He had never envisioned becoming a vocalist of any sort. When the samples were done, the label executive was the first to speak.

"I like the new direction that you have decided to try. I must say it was quite the surprise for us though to have someone else on your tracks unannounced."

"I wanted to surprise you," said Jungkook in response.

Jungkook flicked his gaze from the label executive to Taehyung's mother. She stood at the window with her arms crossed across her chest. The glare still was present on her face. Jungkook couldn't help but to wonder if this woman really was his mother too. She wasn't looking at him at the moment though. Instead she was looking towards Taehyung.

"What is your name young man?" continued the label executive, completely oblivious to the silent conversation that was going on.

"My name is Jeon Jungkook," said Taehyung as he bowed his head towards the label executive.

Jungkook watched Taehyung's mother as he was introduced. She didn't seem to react to the name which didn't surprise Jungkook. He was sure that - even if he was her son - she had given him a different name at the time.

"Are you currently signed under anyone?"

"No sir," said Taehyung.

"Well lets change that then, shall we? I think that it would be a great new direction for Taehyung to go in to have the two of you singing together."

The label executive dug out his phone to send a text to his secretary to bring in some paperwork. Taehyung looked over at his mother to see that her hands were clenched so tightly into fists that they had both gone stark white.

"Do we not get a say in this at all?" she asked in a clipped tone.

Taehyung desperately wanted to say something and was currently trying to formulate the correct response to say. It was obvious that she didn't recognize him if Jungkook was - in fact - the son she had abandoned all those years ago.

"Love, why don't we ask Taehyung what he thinks?" asked his father.

"No. Lets not. It's clear that he can't figure out what is good for his image on his own," she replied curtly.

Taehyung hated when they talked as if he wasn't an adult and wasn't in the room. He clenched his hands into fists but remained silent. Soon the door behind them opened and the secretary made her way in and over to the label executive. She placed a folder down in front of him before disappearing from the room again.

"I'd like to sign you, Mr. Jeon," said the label executive, completely ignoring Taehyung's mother, "And if you would, I'd love to hear more about you."

"Should I start from the beginning?" asked Taehyung as he looked at the label executive.

"Yes," said the label executive, curious as to where this talent had been hiding for so long unnoticed.

"Well, it all started with me being adopted after being found abandoned at a fish restaurant," started Taehyung.

- - -

"Well, did it work?"

Yoongi had been hopeful that Jin would be able to switch he and Yoongles back right off, but that unfortunately hadn't been the case. Yoongi looked down at his cat paws in dismay. When Jin saw that he wasn't getting any answer, he narrowed his gaze at the stained pages that Namjoon was still holding up in his hands.

"Maybe that's not how you pronounce that word. It's hard to tell what it is since half of it is smudged."

'Oh this is hopeless. Absolutely and utterly hopeless,' thought Yoongi.

Needing to take a break from the disappointment, Yoongi turned and wandered off down the alley. At least he could still retreat to the area out back where he used to come to take breaks from work. He picked his way along the familiar route, settling down by a box that had been discarded where he usually stood with his back to the wall; his eyes closed to the rest of the world.

'Move over box. This is my spot,' thought Yoongi, batting at it with a paw.

Yoongi watched at the box wobbled over a bit, vacating his space. Content, Yoongi moved to sit there and close his eyes, praying that he would be able to switch back to his own body soon.

- - -

There had been an odd mixture of reactions that filled the room at Taehyung's statement. The label executive looked intrigued while Taehyung's father looked shocked. The only one that was remaining passive was Taehyung's mother. Taehyung looked over at her - and though there were no emotions currently on her face - he could see the storm brewing in her eyes.

"Really?" asked the label executive in shock as Taehyung nodded his head.

"Yes, but I was raised by an absolutely amazing woman. She took me in and raised me to be the man I am today. I'm grateful to her."

"As you should be," said the label executive. "It's important to remember that - it's not about where you started off - but where you ended up that matters."

Taehyung nodded, taking the pen in his hand. It felt odd to him to sign Jungkook's name to the papers in front of him, but he and Jungkook had talked about all this prior to coming today. Jungkook - though not quite sure yet if he was ready for the idol life - was willing to do it with Taehyung by his side. He copied the signature that Jungkook had shown him earlier, soon having all the papers before him signed.

Taehyung and Jungkook took a seat at the table afterwards to talk about the logistics of a comeback concert now that the album tracks were done. The entire time, Taehyung kept flicking his gaze over at his parents. More time had passed to let the revelation he had spilled slip in. Just when they were working on setting a date for the comeback, Taehyung's mother moved briskly towards the conference room door.

"Where are you going?" asked the label executive as she walked past him from behind.

"Out," she replied, yanking open the door much harder than it needed to be and letting it fall shut with a bang behind her.

Her absence didn't detract from the rest of the conversation. Fifteen minutes later, Taehyung and Jungkook were standing up from the table and doing polite bows to both the men that still remained. They both turned after to walk towards the lobby where Jimin and Hobi were more than likely still waiting. Taehyung and Jungkook hadn't taken more than a few steps from the conference room when they heard the door open again behind them.

"Jungkook," said Taehyung's father, causing both of them to pause in their tracks to look back at him.

Taehyung's father stood there; the shock long since washed from his face to leave it completely blank. He had both of his hands in his pockets; his gaze locked directly on Taehyung as he asked, "May I have a word with you in private?"

 He had both of his hands in his pockets; his gaze locked directly on Taehyung as he asked, "May I have a word with you in private?"