22. A New Color Of You

After all the apology donuts were gone, Laylin finally seemed to notice what time it was. Jungkook realized the time too; already mentally marking down how many hours he had left until Jimin tried to get him to produce something worthy of quality. Taehyung had disappeared off to the bathroom for a moment, leaving Jungkook and Laylin alone. Laylin loitered by the front door, pacing back and forth where she stood. As Jungkook moved over to her, he saw that her brows were furrowed in worry.

"Laylin," said Jungkook as he moved over to her.

He saw her flinch when he came near her, frowning slightly.

"I'm sorry," said Laylin as a blush tinted her cheeks at seeing him frown out of the corner of her eye. "It's just...you've given me a lot to process tonight. It's still unsettling."

"I understand," said Jungkook. "But can we talk for a moment?"

She nodded, turning to look at him for a moment before turning away. There was something about Jungkook showing Taehyung's face so openly that unnerved her. She had an easy enough time in the bakery and on the walk home because he had been masked. Everything was so different to her now that she knew the truth. Jungkook could see that she was still having a hard time facing him. He gently placed his hands on her shoulders so he could turn her to face away from him.

"What are you doing?" asked Laylin.

"Until you are more used to this new...new temporary reality of mine, I thought I would make it easier for you to talk to me by having you not look at me while we talk,"said Jungkook as he stayed standing behind Laylin; his hands still resting gently on her shoulders.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Jungkook said. "Besides, I'm gonna use this to stroke my ego."

"What do you mean?"

"You always went on and on about Kim Taehyung, so I can imagine there was once or twice where you pictured my annoying voice being his...oh what did you describe his voice as being? Heavenly? Angelic?"

Laylin's cheeks flushed up as Jungkook chuckled from behind her. She reached a hand behind her to gently lay it over one of the hands Jungkook still had on her shoulder.

"You're such a tease..." she whispered; her voice becoming thick with tears.

'Shoot! Did I just hurt her feelings?' thought Jungkook as he quickly said out loud, "I was only teasing Laylin. I'm sorry if I..."

Before any more of the apology could come from his mouth, she had turned around so that she was hugging him tightly; her face buried in his chest. He smiled softly, winding his arms about her back as he he felt the front of his shirt get wet with tears.

"If you ever go body swapping with anyone again, you need to tell me immediately..." she whispered as she held on to him.

"Don't worry, Laylin. Once Taehyung and I figure out how to switch back, I'll never do it again."

"Good. I need my best friend back..."

"I didn't go anywhere," he said as he kept his arms about her, moving one palm to rub her back soothingly.

It was then that Taehyung came back from the bathroom. He noticed the two of them hugging in the entryway, walking over to them. He stood off to the side, not wanting to ruin their moment when he knew that it was greatly needed. He wondered what it was like to be wanted like that since he had never experience that kind of genuine desire for himself. Taehyung still couldn't understand how neither of them could see the romantic tension they shared. Jungkook turned his head and noticed Taehyung standing in the doorway.