ix - the holidays

— 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬 —

CHRISTMAS EVE had come faster than I had anticipated. It was also a bit different this year for me, because of how many people I had to buy gifts for. Usually, I would just give my dad one gift and he would give me one too, not having to worry about the rest of the party. This year I felt like I had to do more for the kids, because of what we had gone through together. It was also a bit different because we had a new member of the family, Eleven. Well, El as we have started to call her. My father and I moved out to our family cabin in the woods after Will was rescued. My father started leaving food for El, thinking that she might come back, and then after about a month she showed up, decided to stay with us and hasn't left since.

For El's safety, no one is allowed to know she is alive since the government and scientists at Hawkins' Lab believe she is dead.

El had told us about what happened at the middle school after Jonathan, Nancy and I had left to go fight the Demogorgon. She told us that it had appeared and that she had to use her powers to get rid of it, but it took her into the Upside Down, too. She managed to escape before the portal closed and without her being seen and then just lived in the woods, hunting animals for food. I felt horrible for leaving the boys to have to deal with that by themselves and I also felt horrible for keeping this huge secret from them. Mike was extremely upset. Dustin told me that he tries to contact her every day on his walkie.

In order to protect Eleven, we had to make some changes to the cabin. We rigged the trees with trip wire and had to fix the windows and doors. We fixed up the living and kitchen areas so it looked somewhat livable, since El was going to have to be there all the time. Eleven and I got our own rooms and my dad had an area of the cabin sectioned off with a curtain for himself. I was quite proud of my room after I had finished fixing it up. I went to Melvald's to get some supplies and Joyce helped me pick out a nice white color for my walls. I built my bedframe from scratch, with the help of my dad, as well as some shelves and a desk. I also helped Eleven design her room and since she wasn't able to leave I made sure to bring her home magazines from the store to giver her some ideas.

Picking out gifts for everyone was extremely difficult. I started with my immediate family and bought my dad a travel mug, so he can bring his coffee with him to work, and I bought El a new radio and a mixtape to go with it. The rest of kids were the most difficult to buy for, so I just decided on making them a table to play Dungeons & Dragons on. I made the table from scratch and designed it to my liking. For Nancy, I decided on getting her a small handbag and for Jonathan, I bought him some film for his camera and a photo book for his pictures.

Steve was also difficult to buy for. First, I had to decide if I wanted to buy him anything at all, considering his previous actions. I quickly got over the idea of not buying him anything, because I didn't want to hold a grudge forever.

So, here I am on Christmas Eve, a half an hour before I have to head over to Mike's house with the presents, looking for Steve's gift.

I didn't hold off getting him a gift until last minute. In fact, I have been downtown everyday since the beginning of December looking for Steve's gift. I have been into every shop at least fifty times. I've memorized everything in all of the shops. I've become acquainted with the owners of the shops and seem to have a weird bond with the lady that works at the furniture store.

Pacing back and forth Downtown Hawkins, and getting absolutely nowhere, I make my way over to Melvald's. As I walk through the door, the bell dings and I hear a voice welcome me.