xlii - earthquake

— 𝐄𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐤𝐞 —

"GUYS, I hate to be a bother but I really need a break." I say to the group.

Steve turns to me and grabs my hand. We walk over to a rock, Skull Rock, and crouch down underneath it. Robin, Eddie, and Nancy do the same. As we hide under the rock, we hear the screeching of the bats above us. We all shiver and breathe heavily in fear and exhaustion.

"Oh... Okay." Robin says, crouching out from underneath the rock, "That was close."

"Yeah. Too close." Eddie agrees.

I go to walk out from underneath the rock, but I notice that Steve is no longer standing next to me. I turn around and see him holding himself up against the rock.

"Steve! Oh, shit." I say, making my way over to him.

"I'm fine. I'm fine." He says while struggling to hold himself up.

"No, you're not. You're losing a lot of blood." I say to him.

I hold him by the shoulders and try to help him sit down on the ground. He grunts as his bottom hits the floor. He takes a hand off of his side and I'm able to see the big gash in his flesh. Quickly, I bend down and rip off a long piece of fabric from the bottom of my jeans. They were already torn to shreds anyways, so it wasn't hard to do.

Robin makes her way over to my side and Nancy does as well.

"Okay. So the good news here is that I'm pretty sure that wooziness is not a common symptom of rabies. But, um, if you start having hallucinations or muscle spasms or you start feeling aggressive, like if you wanna punch me, or something, just let me know, okay?" Robin says.

"Robin?" Steve asks.

"Yeah?" She responds.

"I kinda wanna punch you."

Robin laughs.

"Sense of humor's still intact. That's a good sign." Robin says.

"Yeah." Steve agrees.

"Here, (Y/N)." Nancy says, handing me another piece of fabric that she ripped from her shirt.

I thank her and take the fabric, tying it together with the piece I had from my pants. I bring the fabric up to Steve's torso and Robin and Nancy walk away. Steve sits up slightly and groans.

"Okay. You ready?" I ask.

"Yeah. Just do it." He says, holding his arms up over his head.

We both take a deep breath in and I place the fabric to his torso. I hear him holding in his groans as I tightly try and tie the fabric around his body.

"Sorry." I quietly apologize to him.

"It's okay." He breathes out.

I finish wrapping the fabric around his torso and pull it tight, tucking and tying it together so that it wouldn't move.

"Okay. That should be good." I say, backing away from him.