xvi - reunited

— 𝐑𝐞𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 —

THE SHED behind the house seemed like the best option for us at the moment. Hopper and Mike had gone outside to check the space and clear it out. After it was cleared out, Steve and I went in to place sheets up to block the interior. He grabbed a staple gun and a ladder and I cut out pieces of duct tape. We worked in silence until Nancy came in the room.

"Hey." Nancy said to us.

I looked at her and gave her a small smile, still feeling guilty since Steve didn't tell me if he told her we kissed or not. I noticed that she was looking over at Steve, so I walked over and handed her the roll of duct tape I had. She took it from me and smiled and I walked out of the shed, making my way back inside the house. I notice Mike and Max in the kitchen so I walk over to them.

"Hey, guys." I say to them, sitting next to Max who was duct taping a chair.

"Hi, (Y/N)." Max says and I smile at her.

"Weren't you supposed to be fixing the shed with Steve?" Mike asks me while he digs under the sink.

I take the duct tape from Max and I start ripping strips for her and handing them to her.

"Yeah, I was, but Nancy needed to talk to him so I left." I say, sighing.

"You like Steve, huh?" Mike says.

I laugh, nervously.

"What? No, no. He's a nice guy, but we're just...friends." I say.

"Yeah, cause you totally didn't call him hot earlier—" Max begins.

"Max, did you see that Demogorgon I killed?" I ask her and her eyes go wide, "Quiet."

"It's okay, (Y/N). I won't tell Nancy, she likes Jonathan anyways." Mike says, nonchalantly.

I'm taken aback by his matter-of-fact statement and we sit quietly.

"I get why El was your mage now." Max says.

"What?" Mike and I both say in unison, Mike turning around to face us.

"Lucas. He told me all about her." She says.

"Yeah, well, he shouldn't have." Mike says, "And just because you know the truth, it doesn't mean you're in our party. You do know that, right?"

"Yeah, I know." She says.

"Mike, she risked her life for all of us today. We couldn't have done it without her." I say to him.

"Sure." He says.

I shake my head and Max sighs.

"I mean, why would you want a stupid zoomer in your party anyway?" Max says, "I'm just saying, El? She sounds like she was really awesome."

"Yeah, she was. Until that thing took her. Just like it took Bob." He says, getting up and walking away.

I think about Eleven and what she was doing right now. Sadly, I haven't been over to check on her in a couple days and I can't ask about her when everyone else is around. She could be a great help to us right now if she was allowed to leave the cabin. I also feel bad being around Mike knowing that I'm hiding her from him.