xxx - grief

— 𝐆𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐟 —

STEVE AND I decided that we could keep my newly-found mind powers to ourselves for now, much to his dismay. I felt that telling the party and everyone else wasn't a good idea right now, especially since everyone was still trying to recover from what happened over the summer.

I was still trying to recover, as well. I was starting school and working at the Family Video with Steve and Robin, all while trying to fix my life after the loss of my dad.

Steve and I's relationship had gotten a bit rocky over the past couple months and we decided to take a break. We still stayed friends, but the atmosphere was extremely awkward. Between keeping the mind powers a secret and also having to deal with grief, life was complicated and I didn't want to put Steve in the middle of it.

"And then there's this basketball tournament, or championships or whatever, a year after I graduate. I mean, I played with some of these guys and there's no way that they could've gotten to the championships and we couldn't. I mean, I don't know. Does that make sense to you?"

Steve was driving Robin and I to school before he had to go in for work. I could've driven myself, but my car had a flat tire so Steve insisted I just join him since he was taking Robin anyways. I sat in the backseat, holding Robin's shako, while Robin sat in the front fixing her makeup. I would've been in the same boat as her, except I quit band this year.

"Robin, are you listening?" Steve asks, irritated.

"Uh, yes, I'm... I'm—"

"What did I just say?"

"Something about baseball championships." She says.

"No, I'm taking about basketball!"

"Cut me some slack, please."

"Well—" Steve tries, before he is interrupted.

"You're constant obsession with high school and your old classmates is one of labyrinthine complexity and it is seven in the morning, we have to go to the stupid pep rally, and I woke up looking like a total corpse!" Robin explains.

"You're worried about a basketball pep rally? You expect me to believe that?" Steve asks.

"Yeah? So?"

"So we both know what this is about, okay? I'm not buying that bullshit. This is about Vickie."

Recently, Robin had told us that she wasn't into guys. I got the vibe from her that she was into girls, but I wasn't going to ask or say anything about it. When she confessed it to me, I wasn't at all surprised. We were sitting behind the counter in the Family Video and throwing mini marshmallows into each other's mouth when the topic came up.

"Oh my god, that one totally hit me in the eye!" I exclaim, my hand covering my eye.

Robin laughs.

"I'm so sorry, (Y/N)." She chuckles, "Sorry that I have perfect aim!"

"You bastard!" I exclaim, grabbing a marshmallow out of the bag and throwing it at her head.

We laugh for a minute until it gets quiet between us.

"(Y/N), can I tell you something?"

"You can tell me anything, Robbie."

She smiles at the nickname I gave her and then scoots closer to me. I sit up as she does so.

"Okay, but you have to promise me you wont tell anyone, not even Steve." She says.

I hold my pinky up.