xviii - the snowball

— 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥 —

SOMEHOW, JONATHAN roped me into chaperoning the middle school dance with him and Nancy. I couldn't say I was too upset, though, because it meant I would be getting out of the house and dressing up, which I don't really do.

Mike had asked Eleven to go to the dance with him and she was over the moon. We spent many nights, when Mike wasn't around, turning her radio on full blast and dancing around her room. She wanted to make sure she was prepared, but she also wanted to have fun.

I helped her pick out her dress and brought her to my room. I did her hair and gave her some light makeup while we talked.

"So, are you nervous?" I ask her.

"Yes." She says.

I smile at her.

"Don't be. You are going to have so much fun and Mike is going to drool over you the second you walk in the room." I say.

"Drool?" She asks.

"It just means he is going to think you're really pretty."

I finish up her makeup and grab a handheld mirror from my desk.

"Ready to see the final product?" I ask her.

She nods her head quickly and bites her bottom lip. I turn the mirror around and she takes it from my hands. She looks at herself in the mirror and I see her lips slowly curve up into a smile. She then lunges forward and pulls me into a hug. I hug her back.

"Thank you, (Y/N)."

She pulls away from me and I smile at her.

"You look gorgeous, El."

She smiles and repeats what I said.

"Gorgeous." She says.

"Yes, very gorgeous." A voice says by my bedroom door.

I turn and see my dad leaning on the doorframe. He looks at us with a smile on his face.

"Max is here." He says to El.

She gets up from her seat and walks out of my room.

"You ready yet?" He asks me.

"Yeah, I just have to get dressed." I say.

He nods and then grabs the door handle, closing it behind him. I grab my dress and put it on. It was one of my mom's old dresses that she gave to me when I was younger. It didn't fit back then, but I had finally grown into it. It was a baby blue tulle dress with embroidered daisies, short puffy sleeves and went down to the ankles. I put on my baby blue heels and made my way out of the room.

"Okay, I'm ready." I said to my father.

He turned around and looked at me, his lips curving into a smile.

"You look just like your mother." He says.

I smile at him and he grabs his keys. We walk to his truck and he opens the door for me. We get in and he drives to the middle school.