xxxvi - the file

— 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐥𝐞 —

"WHAT DID you do, Maxine?"

Max cringes at my use of her name and looks over at me.

"Nothing, we just need to go to the school." She says.

"The school?" Steve asks, looking in his rear view mirror, "For what?"

Max sighs and reaches into her pocket. She pulls out a key and holds it up in front of her face.

"You sneaky son of a bitch." I say to her, shaking my head.

She smiles and puts the key back into her pocket. I ruffle the hair on her head to the best of my ability, seeing as she had her hair in a ponytail, and she smacks my hand away.

"Alright, the school it is." Steve says.

"Dustin. It's Lucas. Do you copy? Dustin?"

Dustin grabs his walkie and I lean forward in my seat.

"Lucas? Where the hell have you been?" Dustin asks.

"Just listen. Are you guys looking for Eddie?"

"Yeah, and we found him, no thanks to you."

"You found him?"

"He's at a boathouse on Coal Mill Road. Don't worry. He's safe."

"You guys know he killed Chrissy, right?"

"That's bullshit. Eddie tried to save Chrissy."

"Then why do all the cops say he did it?"

Max reaches into the front seat and snatches the walkie from Dustin's hands.

"Lucas, you're so behind it's ridiculous, okay?" She says, "Just meet us at the school. We'll explain later."

"I... I can't. I think some real bad shit's about to go down."

"What are you talking about? What bad shit?" She asks.

We wait for his response, but just hear static over the radio.

"Lucas? Lucas?" Max tries.

After earning no response from Lucas, Max hands the walkie back to Dustin.

"That was... strange?" I ask.

"Yeah, what's going on with him?" Steve asks.

Max stays quiet and moves her head to look out of the window. I could see that she was hurting and it hurt me, too. I didn't know how to make her feel better.

"Ever since he started hanging out with those basketball jerks he's become a total asshole." Dustin says.

"Hey! I played basketball." Steve says.

"Yeah, and you were a jerk." I say to him.

He looks at me through his rear view mirror and I smile at him, then he looks back at the road.

"Maybe he's just trying to fit in? You can't be too upset with him." Steve says.

"Just because you want to fit in doesn't mean you have to ditch your bestfriends." Dustin says quietly.