xlviii - alternate ending

— 𝐀𝐥𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐄𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 —

NO ONE could have imagined what the would would be. In an instant everything had been flipped upside down.

Six months hadn't gone by quickly, especially not for Steve. Six months, 180 days and 4320 hours he had spent at your bedside. Only did he leave when absolutely necessary. He even pushed out his showers and meals til the last possible second.

Why? In fear that you wake up when he's not there. He hated the idea of him not being the first to see your eyes flutter open. In guilt for leaving you by yourself. Although, anytime Steve had to absolutely leave you he always left one of the kids to stick by you.

In all the time he spent with you, as you laid still in your hospital bed, he just kept normal like you were awake. He would keep you posted on everything happening with the kids, especially Max, and how much they had grown in only six months. He would get sappy, almost always, and couldn't help but talk about your future with so much hope. He talked about the world as he knew it, seemingly crumbling to pieces without you there.

Nurses and doctors came in and out, most seeming to feel pity for the boy. At first they tried to convince him to go home and get some rest, but they soon realized he would just ignore the visitors hours and stopped trying.

"Please, Y/N," Steve had often pleaded, "I need you. You're my everything. You're everything."

He couldn't worry about anything else. Not even the end of the world. It was just you.

A whirring of sound was all that you could comprehend at first, until his voice started to become clearer.

"All I've ever needed is you." His voice falters.

As the whirring drowns out and your eyelids start to feel less heavy, you start to really focus in.

"I've planned it out, Y/N. Our whole life." Steve  softly cried. "Our house, our dog, our kids."

"Plus our extended ones, of course." He adds on with a chuckle.

A weight seems to slowly lift off of you as you fade in and out of consciousness. With every nerve ending in your body you try to hold on; reaching for the energy to keep hearing the love of your life's sweet voice trying to pull you out.

"Things aren't good right now, but that's why I need you even more. We all need you." He continues to plead. "El's powers are gone, Y/N. You're our only hope."

With pure desperation, Steve squeezes the hand by your side rather tightly in an attempt to wake you.

Suddenly, Steve starts to feel a soft and movement in his hand and lifts it up slowly. Your finger does a slight tap on the bed, so small that it was almost unrecognizable.

But not to the boy who had been at your bedside for six months straight.

He looked up at you with shock and surprise. He didn't get his hopes up too soon, though, since you often had moments where it seemed that you would wake. After studying you for a moment and seeing no more movement, Steve sighs and slumps back in his chair.

Another day had come and gone, as had the weeks and months before. Steve slept in his chair holding your hand, as the nurses walked in and out, constantly checking on your well-being.

As another nurse comes in to check on you, you start to listen in on their conversation in your state of unconscious consciousness and your finger once again begins to tap.

"Prognosis isn't good... probably not long now."

"He won't let her go, no. It's his only one... last one." They whisper. "The boy won't either."

With that, your boy starts to feel more connected. Gaining more control, you being to tap more of your fingers, and even louder. The nurses didn't seem to notice as your heard their hushed conversation drag out into the hall. Using every bit of strength you had you tried willing your eyes to open. Not willing enough, only one eye had managed to flutter its self open. Even in the dark every light seemed to fill your vision with pure brightness and extreme uncomfort but you never gave in to it. Your eye continued to flutter until a blurry vision came to.

A small figure slumped to the side of you. Looking down you could see it's hand was extended onto yours. Steve.

Filled with an unbearable amount of emotions you just started to cry. It was soft and basically just a bit of humming and mumbling, but your slight jerking seemed to stir Steve.

Opening his eyes and adjusting them to the scene in front of him, he didn't quite realize what was going on at first.

"Y/N?" Steve sleepily said.

Wiping off his eyes and standing up to check on you, he realized.

"Y/N! Oh my god, holy shit!"

He leaned over you and grabbed your arms with his hands, trying to comfort you, and then moving them to your tear soaked face. You couldn't say anything, you weren't strong enough. Steve then reached over and pressed a call button by your bed to get the doctors and nurses in.

Immediately a whole battalion rushed in and started working on you. You felt Steve's hand the whole time, but still couldn't see much but blurry vision.

It wasn't until the doctor opened up your eyes and checked them with a light were you able to keep them open and see a bit better. After being able to breathe on your own and the doctors leaving the room did you see Steve's face again. And again, you just cried.

"Baby," He says leaning over you and placing his hands on the sides of your face, "I can't believe this. I love you so much."

He then leans down and presses a warm kiss into your chapped lips. You couldn't kiss back, but he didn't care.

"We don't need to worry about anything right now except for you, okay? We just need you to focus on healing."

"Your Dad is coming so I'm sure the kids are too. They are gonna be so happy to see you." He softly cries out of happiness.

You saw Steve, and you were so grateful to see him and everyone, but all you could think about was how you were gonna get back out there.

And kill Vecna this time.

hi everyone i promised i would do an alternate ending so here it is! this is the chapter i will pick up off of when stranger things season 5 comes out!!! thank you again for all the support on this book that took a month for me to write (which is kinda crazy) it really does mean so much that you guys like what i write.

if you didn't know i have another Steve Harrington x Reader called "Out Of The Woods" if you guys want to check that one out too. it's not as in depth and super true to storyline like this book and has shorter chapters which i think is really cool and really good for my mental health.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/349190329?utm_source=ios&utm_medium=link&utm_content=story_info&wp_page=story_details&wp_uname=whipkit

thank you and this is the last you'll hear from me here until STRANGER THINGS SEASON FIVE!!