xii - soon

— 𝐒𝐨𝐨𝐧 —

I DECIDED to walk home about an hour after Steve went to sleep. I tried to make sure I knew he was asleep before I snuck out. I grabbed my bag and my extra clothes and threw my oversized hoodie on. I knew the walk back to the cabin was going to be long, but I refused to face Steve in the morning.

The long walk back gave me time to think and process what happened last night. I was still reeling a bit from the alcohol, making the walk a little less smooth. I tried to think about what I was gonna say to Steve the next time I saw him. How was I even going to be able to face Nancy? Were we just going to keep this to ourselves? I was going to have to say something, I can't just pretend like it didn't happen and feel an overwhelming guilt.

I made it back to the cabin after what felt like hours. I walked around the back of the house to try and make my way to my window since I didn't want to wake anyone up to let me in the front door. I push up on my window and pray that I didn't lock it after the last time Steve came over. Thankfully, my window pushed right up and I threw my bag and extra clothes inside, then I pulled myself up and inside. The sun was just beginning to rise and I knew I probably wouldn't have enough time to take a nap before school, so I just decided to stay up and try and get over this small buzz I still had. I took off the boxers that Steve let me borrow and put on some sweats instead.

I crept my way out of my bedroom and to the kitchen to fill up a glass of water. I successfully get my cup and start to fill it up from the tap.

"Where were you?" I hear from behind me.

I turn around and I'm met with my father looking down at me with his arms crossed. He's dressed in his uniform.

"I was at... Nancy's." I say.

He pauses for a moment and looks at my top.

"Who's shirt is that?" He says.

I feel my chest start to get heavier as I try to come up with a lie.

"Nancy let me borrow it."

"Why did you need to borrow it? Why'd you take off your clothes in the first place?"

I groan and put the cup down in the sink.

"Can we please talk about this later, I'm exhausted." I say, walking to my room.

He follows me into my room and shuts the door behind him. I sit on my bed and he walks over to me.

"We can talk now. You can't just show up here at five in the morning and expect me to not say anything, you're seventeen years old."

I begin to get frustrated, but I can't express any emotions cause all I feel is sad.

"Nance and I stayed up late studying so she gave me a shirt to sleep in. I left before she woke up so I could get ready before school." I say, laying back on my bed.

He stands there for a minute and then walks out of the room, shutting the door behind him. I grab my head with both of my hands and then wipe them over my face. I sit up and walk over to my desk. I open the desk and I pull out my sketchbook. I grab a pencil and start to draw a sketch of Steve from my memory. I would say drawing someone from memory is usually difficult, but I've remembered every small detail of Steve. From the freckles on the side of his cheek to the one strand of hair that always hangs down his face.