xliii - 001

— 𝟎𝟎𝟏 —

NANCY OPENS the front door and Steve shines his flashlight inside the house. The ceiling and walls are completely covered in vines.

"Might be time to get a maid, Wheeler." Robin says.

"Come on. I don't want to stay here longer than we have to." Nancy says.

She makes her way up the stairs and we go to follow behind her. Eddie and Robin make their way up the stairs, but I stop in my tracks when I hear an indistinct voice.

"What was that?" I ask, Steve standing right behind me.

The voice starts talking again and I see Steve's eyes go wide. He walks back down the stairs and I follow him.

"It sounds like Dustin." Steve says.

"Dustin?" I ask, "What would Dustin be doing here?"

"I don't know, but listen." Steve says.

We stay quiet and listen to the faint voice.

"Oh my God. It is Dustin." I whisper.

"Dustin! Dustin!" Steve shouts.

"Dustin? Hello!" I shout.

"Dustin! Can you hear me? Dustin!"

"Hel... Hello? Dusty?" I call out.

"Maybe they really do have rabies." I hear Robin say.

I turn and see the other three staring at us like we were insane.

"What are you guys doing?" Nancy asks.

Steve shines his flashlight into their faces.

"He's here. Henderson. We heard him. That little shit, he's here. He's like... He's in the walls or something." Steve says.

"Just listen." I say.

"Dustin." Steve says, "Dustin! Dustin!"

Steve continues to pace around the house, shouting for Dustin. Suddenly, his voice rings out through the house again and the other three hear it.

"Holy shit. That is Henderson." Eddie exclaims.

"Dustin!" Nancy shouts.

"Dustin?" Eddie calls.

We all walk around the house, calling out for Dustin, for him to be nowhere to be seen.

"All right, either this kid can't hear us or he's being a total douchebag." Steve says.

"Will found a way." I say.

"What?" Steve asks.

"Will. He found a way to speak to Joyce through the lights." I say, running over to a lamp on a desk.

I try to click the lamp on, but it doesn't turn on.

"The switch." Steve points, "Try the switch."