xli - watergate

— 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐠𝐚𝐭𝐞 —

"DUSTIN? CAN you slow down? Dustin?" Eddie calls.

We follow after Dustin's trail and push through bushes in the dead of night.

"Where did he learn how to run this fast?" I say, out of breath.

"I think we're getting close!" Dustin exclaims.

We make it to the edge of the lake and Dustin almost runs out into the water.

"Oh, man." Steve exclaims, "You gotta be shitting me."

"Yeah, I thought these woods were familiar." Eddie says.

"Lover's Lake." Robin adds.

"This is confounding." Dustin says.

"There's a gate in Lover's Lake?" Max asks.

"Whenever the Demogorgon attacked, it always left an opening." Nancy states.

"Maybe Vecna's the same way." I add.

"Yeah, only one way to find out." Steve says.

Eddie suddenly makes his way along the edge of the lake. We follow behind him until he stops in front of a tarp. We all stand around it and Eddie quickly whips the tarp away to reveal a small boat underneath. Steve and Eddie look at each other and then make their way on either sides of the boat. The rest of the group backs up and watches Steve and Eddie try to put the boat into the water.

"Easy. I... I said easy, man." Steve complains.

"Sorry, dude." Eddie says.

"Here you go." Steve says, holding his hand out for Robin to take.

She puts her hands on top of both of their heads instead.

"Yeah, I'm just gonna do that." She says, walking onto the boat, "Thank you."

"Yeah, that works too." Steve says.

Eddie then hopped on the boat and extended his hand out to Nancy, which she took.

"Good, you got her." Eddie says to her as she steps on the boat, "Wheeler."

"Thanks." She says to him.

He then bows down a bit and extends his arm out to me. I smile at him then, as I was about to take his hand, Steve shoots his hand up in front of me for me to take. I give him a funny look and then put my hand on his head like Robin did and make my way onto the boat. I sit down in the boat, then turn and see Dustin try to get on as well. Eddie quickly puts his hand out to stop him.

"Hey, hey, hey, you trying to sink us?" Eddie asks him, "This thing holds four people tops, okay? And (Y/N) won't let us leave her here."

"It's better this way, okay? You guys stay here with Max. Keep an eye out for trouble." Nancy reassures Dustin.

"You keep an eye out." Dustin argues, "It's my goddamn theory."

"You heard Nance." Robin says.

"Who put her in charge?" Dustin asks.

"I did." Robin says.

"Compass." Nancy says, sticking her hand out towards Dustin.

Dustin hesitates for a moment and then hands the compass over. Steve then throws a bag at Dustin's chest.

"Hey, there you go." Steve says, then starts to push the boat out onto the water.

Before the boat goes out onto the water, Steve hops in.