Chapter 6

The next day, a lot of the Gladers were slacking in their work. Newt said it was Gally's drink. It tended to have repercussions the following day. Emma had no idea what was in the drink, but she never planned to drink it again.

Zart was one of the many who was struggling to complete his work. He kept sitting down, needing a break. He had refilled his water five times before Frypan rang the lunch bell. It was rather amusing. Newt and Emma joked the entire time, which only annoyed the Keeper of the Track-Hoes.

Eventually, Emma was tasked with bringing Frypan a few cabbages. It was the first time they had grown any in the Glade. They didn't turn out as big as they hoped, but that was expected. It was a learning process when it came to growing new fruits and vegetables.

As she walked toward the Kitchens, someone nearly collided into her. "Oh," Emma gasped, stepping back. "Sorry, I didn't see you."

"My fault," the shaggy red-haired boy laughed. He brushed the hair out of his face. Emma hadn't seen him before. He was taller than her by several inches, almost towering over her. "I wasn't paying attention. It's been a long day."

She smiled at him, readjusting the basket in her hands. It wasn't heavy. There were only a few cabbages inside. "I understand."

The boy eyed the basket in her hands. "Need any help?"

"Oh," Emma chuckled. "No, it's not heavy."

He looked in the basket. "Lettuce?"

"Close, cabbages."

He laughed. "That was definitely my second guess." There was a pause in his words. "Are you a Gardener?"

"Yeah," she confirmed. "Usually tasked with the jobs nobody else wants to do, like bringing food to the Kitchens."

"Headed there now?" Emma nodded. "I'll join you, if you don't mind, of course."

"Not at all." They began walking. "I'm Emma." recently, she had been meeting other Gladers. It was a refreshing change.

"I know," he responded. She glanced at him curiously. "You are the only girl. Your name gets spoken quite often." That didn't surprise her. "I'm Jordan."

He was sweaty, more sweaty than most. "Are you a Runner?" On his back was a bag. A lot of the Runners wore them.

"Slicer, actually." She grimaced. "I know. I get that a lot. It wasn't my first choice, trust me." Not many had a choice in their job. "But I like to think it could be worse. I could be a Slopper."

"I think I'd rather be a Slopper." Emma couldn't be a Slicer.

Jordan laughed again. His laugh was loud but not forced. "I'll give you that. It's not for everyone." They continued walking under the blazing sun. "I am surprised to hear you're a Gardener. Seems like a dirty job for someone like you."

She raised an eyebrow, eyeing him suspiciously. "Someone like me? A girl?"

"I didn't mean it like that," Jordan rushed out.

She didn't believe him, but Emma decided to disregard the comment for now. "I'm kidding." But she wasn't, not entirely.

They stopped in front of the Kitchen. Frypan looked up at the sight of them. "Hey, Greenie."

Emma rolled her eyes. "Not the Greenie, Fry." It was clear he did it purposely, knowing it bothered her. It was a reoccurring pattern with her friends. They kept calling her Greenie.

"What do you got for me?"

"Cabbages, grown for the first time in the Gardens."

Frypan picked up a cabbage, tossing it in the air before catching it. "Sweet, thank you." He emptied the basket before tossing it aside. "How's your day going?" Frypan often started conversations with anyone who approached the Kitchens. It got lonely with just him and Martin there.