Chapter 17

The next day went like most days in the Glade. Emma spent the entire day in the Gardens. She worked on planting new carrots in the ground with Newt and Zart. It was taxing but important work. They took a break for lunch, but mostly everyone had already eaten.

They worked a few more hours after lunch before calling it a day. Emma went to shower before dinner, wanting to rinse off the day's work. The water, as always, was cold. But she didn't mind, not today. Her muscles were sore from being hunched over all day.

At dinner, Frypan serves stew. It's expected. It had been five days since they last had it. Emma thought it was a record, but Newt said they once went a week. Still, five days was the most she had gone without Frypan's stew.

"We need to plant more," Newt spoke to Zart. "The box has sent the same amount of supplies the last eight times. We're getting more Gladers."

"Alby will let us expand toward the Deadheads if we're mindful and can guarantee we won't lose another harvest."

Emma listened to them discuss the food shortage. They had been talking about it for a week now. It was the same conversation each time. "Do we have enough fertilizer?"

"I don't know," Newt sighed. "We'll figure it out." That's what he always said. So far, they had managed, but it wouldn't be like that forever. Emma's eyes scanned the tables around her. There were many Gladers. More came each month. What would happen if they were here for another three years?

As the thought entered her mind, her eyes landed on the Greenie. Chuck, she believed his name to be. "Hey, how's the Greenie doing?" He was alone at a table, too scared to pick up his spoon. Nobody spoke or even acknowledged him.

Newt followed her gaze to the Greenie. "I don't know. I haven't spoken to him today." They had been busy in the Gardens all day.

"I heard he Shucked his pants," Jack laughed.

"I heard that too!"

Emma felt a lump form in her throat. She hated how the Greenie was being treated. It wasn't like that when she arrived. Everyone wanted to know her because she was a girl. The boys that followed weren't as lucky. Lauren did well, but he was older and outgoing. The new Greenie was younger than most and terrified. Someone needed to befriend him. That was how Emma adjusted. She made a friend.

Emma had come to a decision in her mind. If nobody else would befriend the Greenie, then she would. Wordlessly, she stood up and grabbed the bowl full of soup. The table she had previously been at went silent, watching her walk away. There was a determination in her steps. Eyes focused only on the newest young Glader.

As she passed the Builder table, Gally looked up. He watched her curiously, as he commonly did. He was confused. Emma always sat with Newt. Where was she going?

A moment later, Emma walked around the table and sat across from him. Chuck was startled by the new presence. His eyes widened seeing a girl. "Chuck, right?" He stared at her in shock. "I'm Emma. I hope it's okay that I sat with you."

"Yeah," he stuttered with flushed cheeks. "It's fine."

"Great," she smiled her signature smile. It wasn't like her to talk to strangers, but Chuck was different. He was young and terrified. His big brown eyes, full of fear, drew her in. "So, how's your first official day been?"

Emma glanced behind him at Newt, who was amused. She shrugged, not sure what to say. "Fine." She looked back at Chuck.

"Have you started trying out new jobs?" He nodded. "What did you start with?" Chuck thought but didn't know the word. He didn't know a lot of the words used in the Glade. "Don't think too hard. It's okay." Chuck's cheeks flushed again. That caused her to grin. "You'll try out different jobs until something sticks. I know everything is pretty scary, but it's easier when you have a friend." For the first time since he arrived, Chuck smiled.