Chapter 25

Perhaps the timing could have been better, was her first thought after kissing Gally. However, Emma wouldn't change a thing.

What she would change was the situation. Jordan had attacked her, but the rules were a bit unclear. The rules said that a Glader could not hurt another Glader. Jordan hadn't technically hurt her, not purposely, at least. She scraped her shoulder on the wall. It was unclear if he would have hurt her. He did trip her once, but Alby was rather dismissive of that fact, which irritated all the other Keepers.

He had spoken threatening words and had frightened her on more than one occasion, but was it cause for banishment? When Alby asked Gally, he said yes, as did Newt, Minho, Zart, Winston, and Frypan. When he asked Emma, she was hesitant. Her words would weigh heavily on what happened to Jordan. Did she hate him? Yes. Did she want him to be punished for his actions? Also yes. But did she want him to die for it? That was the question that had no answer. As much as she hated him, Emma couldn't sentence him to die because that's what banishment meant. It meant a Glader would be sent into the Maze to die.

So when Alby asked, Emma couldn't get herself to say anything. All she did was stare dumbly at Alby, who seemed to understand her hesitancy. He was also facing the same mental crisis. Banishing someone was no easy task.

Gally argued on Emma's behalf, practically demanding they feed Jordan to Grievers as soon as possible.

But they couldn't do that either.

Tomorrow a new Greenie arrives. Tomorrow they're having a bonfire. They can't Banish someone on the one night they have a month to celebrate and relax. Plus, it would terrify the Greenie, make them feel unsafe watching someone be sent to their death on their first day.

Newt recommended the idea of waiting a few days. Let Alby and himself talk about the situation. Let Emma process everything going on inside her mind and figure out if she felt safe with Jordan in the Glade with her. It's not ideal, but it's the best they can come up with.

While they wait, Jordan will remain in the Pit. If he complains, Newt will gladly remind him it's either the Pit or Banishment.

The gathering of Keepers and Emma was dismissed late into the night. Far later than she would have liked. It's been several hours since the incident and several hours since Gally kissed her in the Med-Jack hut. Truthfully, she spent half the time thinking about how Gally's lips felt against her own. Softer than she had imagined in her head, which made it that much better.

They hadn't spoken much since the kiss. After they both pulled away the last time, they were breathless, thoughts running wild, eyes slightly wide as they stared at each other. Gally, the braver of the two, opened his mouth to speak, but he never had the chance. Jeff rushed inside with Minho, Ben, and Brandon. Alby and Newt followed a few minutes later, and she was forced to recant what happened twice before repeating the story a third time in the Gathering hut. Gally remained silent the entire time she spoke, eyes never leaving her. He would tense every time Emma cringed and clenched his fist when her features saddened.

There hadn't really been time to talk, which was taking a toll on Emma. The situation had proven to be entirely overwhelming, and it was causing her to think negatively. Perhaps Gally regretted kissing her. Maybe he pitied her.

Shaking her head, she pushed the gloomy thoughts away. They weren't going to help her, only damaging her already crumbling mental self-worth. The others were quick to flood out of the Gathering hut. Nobody wanted to be a part of the meeting in the first place, but they had to. It wasn't easy talking about a fellow Glader, and deciding their fate was even harder.

Newt gently squeezed her shoulder as he passed but knew by the expression on her face that Emma needed to be alone. She needed to rest and recover after the horrible ordeal she had faced earlier.