Chapter 59

"We have come a long way together," Vince addressed the group gathered around the fire. "So many of you have sacrificed so much to make this place possible." The sun was setting. It wouldn't be long before it was gone entirely. Behind him was an enormous stone. "Your friends. Your family." Frypan patted Minho's shoulder, shaking his body.

Harriet nudged Emma with her elbow, causing the girl to smile. Her eyes flickered to Gally, who was sitting in front of her. Close enough to touch, which happened occasionally. Every time he shifted in his seat, his back would brush against her knee. Emma found herself hoping that it was intentional. "Here's to the ones that couldn't be here tonight." Vince raised his cup. "Here's to the friends we lost."

Emma lifted her cup, as did the others around her. "This place is for you. For all of us." He pointed at the stone. She set her drink back down. "But this right here. This is for them." The fire in the middle cracked. "In your own time and way, come make your peace." It was a way to honor the fallen. Allow their memory to remain in the Safe Haven. "And welcome to the Safe Haven!"

Cheering erupted all around her. Some people stood up, embracing their friends and clapping loudly. Brenda nudged Thomas, wanting to see him smile.

They made it to the Safe Haven. To safety. To freedom. This was it. The place Emma had been searching for since entering the Maze.

There was something better waiting for her. She only wished Newt was here to see it.

The celebrations began immediately. Frypan got up, waving at Aris and Gally to follow. They did. Emma watched them go, his posture relaxed and carefree. Sonya trailed after them. "Come on," Harriet stood up, extending her hand.

"I'll join you in a minute," Emma promised. She wanted to sit for a moment longer. Harriet hesitated but ultimately decided to give Emma some time. She walked away with Brenda, heading toward the fire.

The girl leaned forward, resting her head on her knuckles. Vince and a few others added wood to the fire, feeding it. The flames grew higher. Jorge patted Minho's shoulder. The two stood up and headed toward the tables. There were plates of food scattered across the top.

She didn't hear Thomas leave, but that was okay.

Emma watched as people smiled and laughed. As they joked about life and trivial things that didn't matter.

Back in the Glade, they'd have bonfires to welcome a new Greenie. It was a way to unwind and welcome the newcomer.

This was a celebration. Something entirely different. They were celebrating their freedom, not their entrapment.

Her eyes drifted to Gally without meaning to. It wasn't a surprise. He was the center of her thoughts. Always had been. Always would be.

He was her biggest what-if in life.

Emma had messed everything up with him. When she saw him again, it was almost too much for her mind to comprehend. It felt like a dream, but it was quickly found to be real. Gally was real, and he was willing to help them rescue Minho. That put him in danger, which made him losable.

Emma remembered the hurt. She remembered the pain and suffering she went through as a result of his death. The aftermath destroyed a piece of her that she would never get back.

But that was then. This is now.

She wasn't angry or scared anymore, but that didn't change how she acted. Emma had been so angry initially, but it was false anger. Because being angry was so much easier than being scared. Losing him again, she couldn't do it. Once was enough.

But how could she tell him that?

How was she supposed to explain that she resented his choices? For choosing the Glade over her. Only to follow anyway and get stung. To kill Chuck. To leave her.