Chapter 43

The drive wasn't long, not like it was before. Emma was anxious about the group being split into two cars. Something she didn't even think about until the car was in drive. Newt wasn't with her, nor was Minho. It was Thomas, Teresa, Brenda, and Jorge. All people she met in the last two weeks.

The thought startled her. She knew her time with Teresa and Thomas wasn't long. Just over a week now. It was odd. It felt like a lifetime. So much had happened, but they were bonded together because of it. Thomas and Teresa were her friends. Jorge and Brenda, although new, were now people she trusted. They were part of their group now, even if they weren't from the Maze.

They were going somewhere. Another unknown place, but Emma was scared like she was before. Harriet and Sonya seemed like they wanted to help. They knew Aris, and Emma trusted Aris. He had helped them survive. Without him, they never would have escaped WICKED.

It wasn't too long later, probably an hour, that the car stopped atop a small hill. Once Harriet got out, Emma felt comfortable enough to do the same. Quickly, her eyes fell on the scene below. There were dozens of people spread out in tents or walking around. Kids to adults, all together. Some were eating from cans, while others were gathered around fires. They were not dressed like WICKED workers, but it was also different from the other people they encountered.

"They've been planning this for over a year now." They followed Harriet and Sonya down the hill. "This is all for us."

"You guys are lucky you found us when you did," Sonya said. "We're moving out at first light." Emma's eyes scanned over the faces of the people they passed. They looked friendly, more so than any others she had seen. "Where's Vince?"

"Somewhere over there," a man pointed in the distance. "I think."

They changed directions. "Who's Vince?"

Harriet glanced at Thomas. "He's the one who decides if you get to stay." Emma pursed her lips, feeling uneasy. What if the Right Arm turned them away? What happened then? They had nowhere else to go.

Thomas looked around the area. "I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army?"

"We were," an unknown voice said. Emma turned to see an older blond man with long hair approaching. "This is all that's left of us." He gestured to the area. "A lot of good people died getting us here." All eyes were on him. "Who are they?"

"They're immunes," Harriet explained. "We found them coming up the mountain."

Vince was hesitant. "Did you check them?"

Harriet pointed at Aris. "I know him. Aris. I trust him."

"I don't. Check them."

"Boss-"

Before the man could finish, Brenda fell. Her body brushed against Thomas's before hitting the ground with a thud. "Brenda!" Jorge dropped to her side. "Brenda?!"

"What's going on?" Emma wasn't sure what was happening either. Brenda didn't look well.

"Brenda?" Jorge flipped the girl over. Her lips were blue. Tears stream down her cheeks. "Brenda? Talk to me. Please."

"I'm sorry," she gasped, unable to catch her breath. "I'm sorry." Emma wanted to step forward. Try and help, but she was unable to move. Seemingly frozen in place.

Vince kneeled beside them. "What's wrong with her?"

"I don't know." It was the truth. He had no idea what was happening. "Brenda, are you okay?"

Vince noticed a bandage around her leg. He pulled it back. Gasping, he stumbled back. Emma's lips parted in shock as she saw a bite mark on her calf. Brenda had been bitten by one of the creatures. "Oh, shit." He pulled out a gun and pointed it at her. "Crank. We have a Crank here."