Chapter 31

Everyone was trying to act as if everything was normal. As if three Gladers hadn't survived a night in the Maze, and a new Glader girl hadn't appeared with a cryptic note. As if Ben wasn't dead and Alby hadn't been stung.

Emma wasn't like everyone else. When she woke up the next morning, she met Teresa in the Med-Jack hut, like Newt had asked. She showed her around the Glade, explaining how things typically worked and where everything was.

"There are three rules in the Glade. One, always do your part. You'll be assigned a job eventually." Emma wasn't sure when. With everything being so chaotic, it would probably be a while before Teresa tried out different jobs. "I'm a Gardener. I spend most of my time with the other Gardeners and Track-hoes." She pointed toward the Gardens. "You'll probably start there since Newt wants you with me until he figures out what's going on." Emma noticed that Teresa seemed to relax at the idea of them working together. It made her smile faintly. She couldn't imagine what Teresa was thinking.

She had been sent up into the Glade during the most chaotic time. Everyone was looking at her suspiciously because of the note and the fact that she had said Thomas's name when she arrived only three days after him. Of course, Emma found that odd as well, but Teresa didn't remember anything. She was the same as them.

"Rule two, never hurt another Glader. It's about trust here." Her voice wavered as the thought of Jordan returned. He was still in the Pit. They hadn't had time to figure out what to do with him since Thomas had arrived. It had only been a few days since he cornered her, and so much had happened since then. "Lastly, do not enter the Maze. Runners only. It's dangerous." Teresa nodded, already knowing that rule. "Understand?"

"Yeah," she confirmed. "I understand."

"Good, let's keep going." Emma still had more to show her.

Gladers eyes followed them everywhere they went. She pretended not to notice, as did Teresa, but it was hard. Emma wasn't sure what was happening. Things were changing, that much was obvious, but she wasn't sure what to make of it. Gally was convinced that Thomas was dangerous, but she wasn't so sure.

"So, before I came up, you were the only girl?"

"Yeah," Emma confirmed. "I've only been here a few months." Teresa listened carefully. "It was a bit of a shock. Some random girl coming up and shaking things up. They stared, whispered things, and had theories, but once they realized I was harmless, things stabilized." Emma could still see the conflicted expression on her face. "Hey." She placed a hand on her arm. "Don't worry about the boys. They're complete idiots." Teresa laughed for the first time, a smile on her face that matched Emma's. "Just stick with me."

"Okay," Teresa responded happily. "I'd like that."

Emma had hope this would be the start of a beautiful friendship. She had always wanted to befriend another girl. It felt like a dream.

Shaking her head, she looked around the Glade. Instantly, her eyes locked with Gally. There was a scowl on his face as he watched her. Emma internally groaned, already knowing what was bothering him.

She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. "Why don't you go to the Med-Jack and tell Jeff and Clint we'll take over for the rest of the day? I'll join you in a second." Teresa nodded. She silently turned on her heel and walked inside the hut.

Emma focused her attention on Gally, who was still watching her. Slightly annoyed, she began walking toward him. Gally noticed, of course, because he hadn't stopped watching her since she started showing Teresa around the Glade. Instead of walking to meet her, he crossed his arms and leaned against a table.

Her annoyance doubled in an instant. Typically, Gally would meet her halfway unless he didn't see her or couldn't. Clearly, he wasn't doing anything productive. If he was, he wouldn't be scowling at her from halfway across the Glade.