Chapter 21

The day started normal, like most days, but it didn't stay that way. It was fine for Emma, who always stayed in the Gardens with the others, but she heard the whispers. The murmurs of hostility on the other side of the Glade. Then, the arguing started. She was able to ignore it, assuming it was Alby getting on the Sloppers again for slacking.

But she was wrong.

It wasn't Alby. It was Gally. That became clear when Dmitri showed up at the Gardens, wanting to escape Gally's wrath. Emma wasn't sure why Gally was upset. Last night things were good. He was happy, smiling, laughing. What could have changed? Emma wasn't sure, but she was determined to find out.

When he didn't show up to lunch, she grew more concerned.

Emma spent the entire time thinking about him. Worried about what was going on. Newt told her not to worry. Gally's moods were well-charted territory by now. After three years, everyone knew to stay clear of him and let him stew in his anger until it dissipated enough for him to be tolerable.

But Emma wasn't like the other Gladers. She didn't want to let Gally sit with his thoughts all alone. She wanted to help with whatever was bothering him. So, after she finished her work, she set out to find him. It wouldn't be hard, she thought. There was only ever one place to find him, the Builders station.

Emma sought to find the Keeper of the Builders. She never once considered her actions. Never pausing to think it might be a bad idea. Gally was her friend. Being there for him wasn't a question. It wasn't an obligation or a chore either. Simply something she wanted to do.

The sun was in the early stages of setting. The sky a warm orange color. The Maze doors had long since closed, and the chatting of the Glade had increased in volume. Still, Emma wasn't drawn into any conversations. She was a girl on a mission.

The Builders station was almost entirely abandoned. The Builders having fled to stay out of Gally's path. Cowards. Emma thought they were cowardly for that. Gally wasn't the nicest person, sure, but he was a person. Not someone to be avoided on a bad day. As expected, Gally was at the Builders Station. His body hunched over a workbench as he gripped the edges tightly.

Emma sighed, rubbing her jaw as she began to approach. However, that never happened. Someone slid in front of her, stopping her. "Hey," Jordan smiled at her. "Done already?"

"Hey," she greeted, eyes flickering to Jordan's face. The last thing she wanted, especially right now, was to be caught in a pointless conversation with him. Emma didn't like the Slicer, and talking to him always felt like a chore. There was never anything interesting about their conversations, and truthfully Jordan scared her a bit. "Yeah, all done. I'm actually-"

"The Gardens have been looking great recently. Really kept up, especially now that you're expanding. Bet that was all you, huh?" Jordan raised his arm, shoving her shoulder back. Emma's body was tense, which resulted in barely any movement from the shove.

Emma pursed her lips, trying to fight her annoyance. Her eyes flickered to Gally, who was roughly racking his fingers through his hair as he paced. Even from a distance, she could see the flush of color on the back of his neck. "Newt, actually." She barely was listening. "Sorry, I can't talk right now. I'm trying to get to Gally-"

Emma went to walk past, but Jordan wrapped his hand around her upper arm. "I wouldn't do that," he said. "Gally's having one of his temper tantrums. It's best to stay clear until he's calmed down. They're dramatic, dangerous as well." There was a condescending smile on Jordan's face, like he knew more than her. Maybe he did, but not about Gally. Emma liked to think nobody knew Gally like she did. Nobody talked to him as much as she did. They didn't try. "You haven't been around long enough to know-"