Chapter 37

"Alice. Barry. Walt. Edgar. Samantha." Janson read the list of names like he did the day before. However, her mind was distant. The words he spoke meant nothing to her.

On top of everything that happened to get them here, Thomas informed them of what he had learned after they went to bed. A boy named Aris had crawled into their room through an air vent. He told Thomas to follow him and showed him something. Thomas said it looked like bodies being brought into a sealed room.

If it was true, Emma feared what that meant.

"I need to know what's behind the door," Thomas muttered, placing his hands on the table.

"Thomas," Newt began cautiously. Emma already knew what he was going to say. "We've already been through this. You don't know what you saw." He was brushing off his concerns. "They were covered up. You don't know what you saw. It could have been anything."

Emma believed Thomas. She had to. After losing so much, she had put all her trust in the boy who led them out of the Maze. "I know what I saw. They were bodies." Minho leaned closer. "Aris said they bring them in every night like clockwork."

"Who the hell is Aris," Minho questioned. Thomas pointed toward another table. They all turned around. The boy, Aris, was the same one David and Riley pointed out the day before. He had been here the longest. He was inspecting a piece of bread. "Well, I'm sold."

Emma leaned forward. "Thomas saw what he saw." All eyes went to her. "And if he's right, we need to figure out what the Shuck is going on."

Thomas nodded at her. "Thanks, Emma." She was the only one to take his side.

Everyone began clapping, which abruptly ended their conversation. "Thank you," Janson said. "Enjoy the rest of your evening." With that, he left with the group of kids, who were all thrilled about being brought to a safe haven. Only now, Emma had her doubts. If Thomas was right, they were in real danger. None of those kids were leaving.

"Okay," Newt eyed Emma closely. "Until we know for sure, we should keep our heads down. Let's try not to draw any attention to ourselves." Thomas stood up without any warning, marching toward the doors.

"What is he doing?"

"I think he's drawing attention to himself," Frypan responded.

Thomas tried to follow the group out of the room. He rubbed his forehead, ducking his head down. One of the guards stopped him, which wasn't a surprise. They couldn't hear the conversation, but they all watched carefully, ready to step in if needed. Two guards were arguing with him.

Thomas turned around. Emma thought he had given up but was wrong. Suddenly, he spun around and attempted to fight his way past. Immediately, the group reacted. They jumped out of their seats and ran to break up the fight. "What the hell is your problem," Thomas yelled at the man.

"Back off!" The man shoved him. Minho and Newt quickly grabbed Thomas, pulling back before he could fight. Behind the men, Janson rushed toward them.

"Why won't you let me see her?" Thomas wanted to see Teresa. The group hadn't seen her since the previous day. Dr. Crawford said they needed to run more tests, but that excuse wasn't believable anymore.

"You need to control your friend!"

Janson brushed past the guards. "What's going on here?" He failed to mask his agitation. "Thomas, I thought we could trust each other?" Thomas stared at him. The others hesitantly let go. Janson placed a hand on his shoulder, which unnerved her for unknown reasons. "We are on the same team."

Thomas tilted his head back. "Are we?"

Janson's lip twitched. There was a split second of silence before he spoke. "Get them to their bunks."