Chapter 51

Thomas and Newt had been gone for a while. Emma wasn't surprised. After Newt's unexpected outburst, she knew the two would talk and figure things out. He would get Thomas to agree to the plan. Newt was always good with his words. In order to rescue Minho, they needed Teresa.

But they couldn't move forward without Thomas. He was their unofficial leader.

So, they waited for the two to return. In the meantime, they made themselves comfortable, settling in for the night.

Frypan took it upon himself to inform Gally of everything that happened to them after they separated from him. He told him about how they never actually escaped WICKED. How Aris had revealed the truth to Thomas. About how they escaped and traveled through the desert in search of the Right Arm. He told him everything, and Gally listened. He listened to every word, wanting to know what happened to them. Most importantly, what happened to Emma.

Frypan spoke about how Thomas and Brenda separated from them when WICKED attacked. How they thought they lost them in the explosion only to find them drugged by Marcus. About Brenda and Jorge becoming part of their group. Finding the Right Arm. About how Teresa betrayed them.

It made sense why she was in the city and they weren't. Gally had always wondered how that happened. Frypan spoke about how Minho sacrificed himself to save them. "And then Emma-" the story abruptly halted. In the middle of a sentence he could not finish.

Gally waited for him to say something. To hear what happened to her. "Then what?" Frypan glanced upward at the girl, knowing she was listening. She would deny it, but he knew the truth.

"Nothing," Frypan whispered, shaking his head. Gally followed his gaze to the second story of the former parking garage. Watching as the girl stared blankly at the wall. Brenda was in front of her, legs tangled together. It was hard to tell who was who. "It just changed after that. She was-" he stopped again. "We were never the same." Frypan was able to go around the details and continue talking about what happened after Minho was taken. Gally kept listening but let his eyes flicker to Emma constantly.

She noticed, of course, but didn't care.

Emma hadn't spoken to him. What was she supposed to say? I'm so grateful you're alive. Why didn't you come with me? Why did you choose the Glade over me? Why did you follow us anyway? Are you okay? Do you blame me? Hate me? Love me?

Did you look for me? 

Do you even care?

"Hey," Brenda tapped her thigh. "You okay, Emmy?"

Emma slumped against the wall, mind spinning. "I honestly don't know how to answer that question." She wasn't okay. She was far from okay. A part of her was happy to see Gally, but that part was suppressed under her other emotions. Mostly, she felt angry. Angry at him for letting her go. For leaving her. For breaking her heart.

Emma spent a long time repairing the damage left behind by Gally. Was she really willing to let him back in for him to do it again?

Brenda nodded, more to herself. She had no idea what Emma was feeling right now but wanted to show her support. If Emma decided she hated Gally, then Brenda would hate him too. If Emma decided she still loved him, well, Brenda was prepared to mend a broken heart if needed. "I'm here for you," Brenda said, wanting to remind her. "Whatever you need. I'm here. I'm right here." She always would be.

Emma smiled faintly at her friend. "I know. Thank you." A part of her wanted to look at Gally but was unable to do so. She could still see it in her mind. His body on the ground after Minho put a spear through his chest. Still feel the consequences of his actions and the guilt she carried for so long afterward. "I feel like I'm dreaming. Like I'm in a nightmare."