Chapter 30

Emma had come to the conclusion that the new Greenie had a death wish. He, alongside Minho, led a group of Gladers into the Maze to investigate the dead Griever. She only knew because she was with Newt, who was pulled into a Keeper meeting by Gally to discuss the events once they returned.

Gally was furious. That much was apparent by the way he was stomping around the Glade after the Gathering. Part of Emma wanted to calm him down, but the other half of her knew Gally needed to defuse on his own. If she tried to help right now, he would only take his anger out on her.

Besides, Emma liked the new Greenie. She found him to be intelligent and courageous. That was something the Glade needed. For so long, things had been the same. Thomas was the change that Emma had always been hoping for.

But she couldn't tell Gally that. It was clear he hated Thomas.

Emma stuck to herself for most of the afternoon. She hadn't returned to the Med-Jack hut to see the new girl. Seeing the girl only worried her. What did her arrival mean? Was it good? Bad? Why had she arrived only a few days after Thomas? That had never happened before.

Distantly, Emma could hear shouting. Her head perked up at the sound, eyes squinting as she tried to figure out what it was. It wasn't uncommon to hear commotion throughout the day, but something about this sounded different.

Emma set down the tools she had been using. Cautiously, she made her way through the Glade. As quickly as her journey started, it stopped. She found the source of the noise. It was impossible to miss. Emma's eyes widened at the sight. The new Glader Girl was on top of the tree hut.

She was awake, which was a good sign. However, that wasn't the issue. The issue was that she was throwing things over the side at the group of Gladers below. Emma noticed Newt hiding under a wood panel with Winton. Gally and Frypan were in the middle of the group, not bothering to protect themselves from the falling objects. There were a dozen others, all with different things to protect themselves with.

"Wow," Emma muttered, a lazy smile on her face. It was amusing, the scene in front of her. She noticed Chuck a few feet ahead and joined him. "Enjoying the show?"

The young, curly-haired boy glanced at her. He had a large smile on his face. "Yeah, this is great." Emma chuckled. "Were you like that when you entered?"

"I wish." She hadn't reacted the same way the new girl was currently.

"Stay away from me! Go away!" Emma wasn't sure what to do. Watching the boys underneath was amusing, but the girl was clearly frightened.

"Chuck," Thomas called out. Emma glanced at him over her shoulder. Minho and Jeff accompanied him. "What's going on?"

"Girls are awesome." He pointed at the scene. Thomas and Minho followed where he was pointing. Minho laughed, shaking his head at the sight.

"Stay away from me!" Thomas ran forward to try and help.

Minho stood beside Emma. He didn't move to follow Thomas. "Not going to help?"

"And risking messing up my face? I'm way too pretty for that." He winked at her.

Emma rolled her eyes, nudging his shoulder with hers. "You're insufferable."

They both looked back at the scene, noticing that the new girl had stopped throwing things. It seemed Thomas had said something, but Emma wasn't sure what. Then, to her surprise, Thomas began climbing up the ladder. 

Realizing it was safe, Minho jogged toward the group.

"Are you coming?" Chuck was staring up at her. He wanted to see what was going on.