Chapter 57

When the berg touched down, the group was already standing. Jorge and Vince had set Thomas on a metal slab, which would help them carry him to where they had a medical room set up in the camp.

It was the room they set up for her when they originally arrived at the camp. Emma spent a lot of time in that room healing from a bullet wound.

The moment the hatch dropped, they were moving. However, there was already a swarm of people gathered around.

It was slightly overwhelming, and Emma found herself hesitating as chaos surrounded the group. Vince and Jorge were directing people, preparing and informing them about Thomas's condition. There were still over two dozen children on the berg. All confused and scared. They didn't know what was going on. All they knew was that random people had taken them. They had to trust they were better than WICKED.

Frypan spoke to a few others, waving at the kids to follow. Emma stepped off the berg for the first time since leaving the city. She was back on solid ground.

It was only now that she realized Vince had waited. He waited for them, despite the risks.

Now, Vince, Jorge, and others were rushing Thomas toward medical, preparing to remove the bullet. Minho was following close behind, limping slightly. He had an injury that he could no longer hide. Emma wasn't sure when he got it or if he already had it.

Frypan led the young immunes toward the camp, or more so, the dining area. It was one of the largest rooms. There he could place the kids, feed them, and then figure out what to do.

Everything felt distant. Emma just stood there, unsure of what would happen next. WICKED was destroyed—at least, the city and everyone in it. There were outposts. Emma had seen at least one. It wouldn't surprise her if there were more.

But their biggest defense had been burned to the ground. No doubt WICKED would crumble without it.

Brenda was nearby, but Emma couldn't see her. She could only hear her. The crowd was still large, even with the kids being led away. Even with people following Vince to help save Thomas.

Gally was nowhere to be seen.

Emma's body was trembling. All she felt was grief. Newt didn't return with them. He would never see the camp again. Never journey across the sea. Never make it to the Safe Haven.

Hands were touching her. People were asking questions, wanting to know if she was okay. No, Emma wanted to scream. No, I'm not okay. Nothing is okay. Newt's dead.

Where's Gally?

"Gally," Emma breathed, suddenly terrified. Was it all a dream? Had she imagined Gally? He was nowhere to be found. "Gally?" The panic was setting in. Where was he?

Was it all a dream? Was he really gone? Was Gally still dead? 

The idea that he was never real alarmed her. It wouldn't have surprised her if that was the case, but that would mean she had lost him again. Even if he wasn't real, the loss would break her further.

Where's Gally?

She can't see him. The group that had gathered suddenly felt more overwhelming than anything Emma had experienced yet. Newt is dead. As is Teresa. Thomas was injured and Minho had been rescued.

The city had fallen. So many were dead. Emma can't process any of it. The world keeps moving around her, but she remains frozen.

Where's Gally?

"Emma," a person materialized in front of her. "Hey, Emma." It was Brenda. Her tone made it seem like she had said her name several times. "You need to get to-"