Chapter 44

It was complete chaos.

Emma ran beside Frypan through the smoke, unsure how everything had fallen apart so suddenly. For a moment, she thought they had done it. That they had finally found freedom.

She should have known better.

Explosions occurred all around them. WICKED soldiers repelled from the helicopters, shooting electric prongs at anyone who ran past. WICKED needed as many immunes as possible. Killing people wasn't an option. That scared Emma more, being used as a blood bag for a foundation that saw her as property rather than human. Dying was better than that. At least, to her, it was.

"Where's Thomas?" It was Frypan who had asked the question. Minho dragged Emma onto the ground behind barrels to take cover. Thomas had gone to find Teresa, who was on another mountain ridge. She looked at the mountain, but it was too dark to see. She hoped they were there when the bombs were dropped. That area was entirely untouched. They would have been safe.

"Harriet!" It was Vince. He was screaming, but she couldn't see him. "Ammo!" Gunshots surrounded them.

"Vince! Harriet!" Minho spotted them. Still holding onto Emma, he dragged her with him. The girl stumbled over her feet but managed to regain her balance. She trailed behind him, as did the others.

"Come on!"

"Over here." Vince was standing in the back of a truck, which held a large gun. However, he was using a shotgun. 

"How can we help?"

"Cover us."

"Ammo," Vince hollered. He bent down, holding out the gun. "Do you know how to use this?" Minho took the gun from him. Without saying anything, he cocked the gun and began firing. The answer was no. Minho had never used a gun. However, he was a fast learner. "This fifty's our only chance."

Harriet handed a gun to Newt and then to Emma. She took it, not really thinking about what it meant. The girl followed Newt to the other side of the car. WICKED soldiers were all around them. Explosions were still occurring. People were screaming.

Raising the gun, she pulled the trigger.

Once.

Twice.

Three times before a man hit the ground. Emma paused, gun lowering as she stared ahead. The man was on the ground, no longer moving. He was dead. Probably before he even hit the ground.

Her mind flashed to Gally. To the gun he had. He pulled the trigger and shot Chuck. Emma pulled the trigger and got the same result. Someone was dead.

They were the same now.

"Keep firing!" Vince was trying to load the large gun. Emma blinked, coming back to reality. She raised the pistol once more and started shooting at anyone wearing a mask.

"Hurry, Vince!" Newt reloaded his gun. "There's too many." They were outnumbered. Emma pulled the trigger. Another man hit the ground.

"I'm out!"

A soldier threw something at them. It beeped loudly. "Look out!"

"Shit," Vince screamed—an explosion of sparks occurred. Electricity coursed through her body. Emma dropped the gun, falling to her knees. Her body shook as she fell onto the ground. The screaming faded from her ears. The world followed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The helicopters landed. Everyone from the Right Arm had been captured by WICKED and forced into a clearing. Emma was forced onto her knees beside Newt. There's an evident tremble in her hands. Hiding it would be pointless. Plus, she didn't care enough.