Chapter 41

There was a song playing over the speakers. It echoed down halls and bounced off walls. Emma willingly followed the same girl who helped string them up by their ankles over a hole.

But, right now, it was either Brenda or WICKED. Emma would pick anyone over WICKED. She had to have faith that Brenda was going to help them.

If Gally were here, he would call her foolish for having faith. For believing in Thomas and trusting his decisions.

Maybe he would be right. Maybe Emma was a fool, but she was who she was.

And Gally was gone.

Brenda led the group up a set of stairs into a new part of the building that she hadn't seen yet. "Brenda," Jorge called out. Emma looked up to see him standing a few feet away. "We don't have much time. Let's go. Let's go. Come on." They started following him past shelves full of dusty junk. "This way." Jorge pushed open two windows, revealing a zip line. Her eyebrows raised as she quickly put the pieces together inside her mind. He was helping them escape WICKED via zip line.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me," Frypan muttered.

"Plan B, Hermano." There were several rag-looking cloths over the wire, which they would use to cross. "You kids want to get to the Right Arm? I will lead you to them, but you owe me." He yanked one of the rags. "Follow me." With that, he jumped out the window and began soaring toward the other building.

"Oh, Shuck no," she whispered to herself. Emma was, all things considered, rather strong, but she doubted her ability to hold herself up and crossover without letting go and falling, possibly to her death.

"All right," Brenda pulled down another rag. "Let's go."

"Okay, go, go. Everyone, go," Thomas instructed the group. "We need to go." Minho stepped forward and grabbed one of the ropes. He grunted before jumping. Like Jorge, he easily glided through the air. It was easy for him. He never even hesitated.

Emma wasn't brave like that.

Frypan grabbed a rope next, and Emma shared an apprehensive look with Newt. "Come on," Thomas encouraged Frypan.

"You go, I'll follow," Newt said to her. "Right behind you."

"You better be." Emma stepped forward next and grabbed a rag. Taking a nervous breath, she wrapped her arms around the fabric. Distantly, she could see the group in the other building, barely illuminated by the lights inside.

After a moment of hesitation, she jumped.

The wind whipped her hair back. She felt a rush of adrenaline as she glided quickly down the zip line. Her eyelids fluttered as she clutched tightly onto the rope to the point it hurt, but it didn't matter as long as she didn't fall.

It felt like she was flying. Soaring through the air like a bird.

Approaching the building, Emma felt herself become fearful. She wasn't moving incredibly fast, but she wasn't sure how to stop. This was her first and hopefully last time on a zip line. At least from what she remembered.

Emma entered the next building, and she used her feet to try and stop. The moment her feet were on solid ground, she let go and stumbled forward. Knowing she was going to do that, Minho was ready. He wrapped his arms around her, preventing her from falling.

Emma grabbed his biceps, glancing up at him. Her nose barely missed his chin. Minho offered her a friendly smile, features relaxing. She felt a sudden rush of deja vu. "Thanks, Minho. That could have been bad."

"Yeah, no worries." She let go of him right as Newt appeared. Like she had, he stumbled to catch himself. This time, Frypan was there to help him.

Emma dusted herself off, letting out a shaky exhale. She had done it. She had zip lined without falling.