Chapter 54

They rescued Minho.

Now, all they had to do was escape the city. That was proving to be a difficult task. It didn't help that Newt's health was rapidly deteriorating. He had been hiding it for as long as he could, but his strength was diminishing every minute.

Helicopters were everywhere searching for them. Vehicles were driving by, sirens bouncing off walls. The group slid behind cement ledges, trying to remain hidden. Emma sat down beside Thomas, Gally on his other side. She attempted to catch her breath. Newt and Minho were nearby, ducking behind a barrier.

"Well, they're definitely pissed," Gally said. He still had his non-lethal gun. Thomas pulled off his gloves, tossing them on the ground. Emma shifted uncomfortably. The disguise was heavier due to the water absorption. It was slowing her down.

"How far to the tunnels?" She shifted again before deciding to take off the vest and jacket, leaving her in a white tank top.

"About twelve blocks from here." Newt began coughing, body shaking as he struggled to catch his breath. He was getting worse. The dark veins had traveled up his neck onto his cheeks. The virus was spreading. It wouldn't be long until it took over. They needed the serum. "We can make it." Gally tried to sound confident.

"I'm going to go check on him." Emma moved away from them. Staying low, she shuffled toward the two. Seeing her, Minho nodded before crawling toward Gally and Thomas. "Hey, Newt," she greeted him. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," he said, head falling to the side. He started coughing again. It sounded painful. She winced and patted his knee reassuringly. Emma's eyes flickered to the others. The three boys were watching them, talking in whispers.

"You're okay," she told Newt, focusing on him again. Newt had to be fine. She couldn't lose him. The first friend she ever made in the Glade. One of her best friends. She needed him to be okay. To live. "Brenda has the serum. It's twelve more blocks. You can do that easily. I saw you run the entire Maze once."

Newt chuckled at her words. Emma smiled at the sound. "You're right. Easy."

"Easy," she repeated in a whisper.

"Hey, Newt," Thomas appeared beside her. "We need to get you up, okay?" He clutched the underpart of Newt's arm and lifted. Emma sprang to her feet, hands raised in case she needed to help. The boy misstepped, but Thomas was quick to act. "Hey, woah, woah. You okay?"

"Yeah." Newt leaned into him. Thomas carried most of his weight.

Suddenly, a hand wrapped her arm. Emma glanced at the person, surprised to see Gally. His touch was delicate, almost hesitant. Like he wasn't sure if it was okay. "What-"

"You're hurt."

Raising an eyebrow, she followed his gaze. There was a cut on her arm, blood trailing down her damp skin. "Oh, yeah." Gally tugged something out of his pocket. It was a handkerchief. "Gally-"

"It'll keep it protected for now. When we get back, I'll bandage it properly." He moved quickly, efficiently, and without hesitation. They were in the city, surrounded by danger and the threat of death, but Gally was worried about a cut on her arm.

She gazed up at him, feeling her heart race at their proximity. A million memories came rushing back to her. This time, it was only good memories. Nights on the tree hut. Eating meals together. Walking around the Glade. Working at the Builders station. Laughing. Smiling. Simply existing together.

"It's fine, really. I think I skimmed the window when I jumped. Not a big deal." Emma was fine. "Believe it or not, I'm kind of known for being clumsy." That's the moment Gally sees it, the fond expression on her face. Now, once again, directed at him. Gally swore there was nothing better. "Come on." The others were leaving. "We have to go."