Chapter 27

Waking up today felt strange. Emma was abnormally exhausted. Given she was always tired, but today felt different. There was a drag in her movements, making everything take longer than it should have. She slowly moved around the Glade, not slacking in her work, never slacking, but moving slower.

Emma couldn't explain her exhaustion. It didn't make much sense. She tried to shake the feeling. It was still early morning, and there was much to be done. The Greenie, Thomas, was trying out different jobs. He spent nearly an hour with the Slicers before it became clear that wasn't a job for him.

Newt went to retrieve him right as Emma began her journey toward the Kitchens, which took her a bit longer than it should have. She was struggling to balance all of the baskets on top of each other but refused Jack's help when he offered it. Emma was always the one carrying the food across the Glade. Typically she went alone. That wasn't going to change because she was tired.

Emma grunted, struggling to set the baskets on the counter. Lifting several baskets full of food and materials on a counter was difficult, especially when exhausted. Feeling a shake in her arms, she kept trying.

Suddenly, the baskets were raised onto the counter with ease. Emma glanced to her left to see Gally, his face flushed from working tirelessly at the Builders station. "Thanks," Emma whispered, wiping her hands on her pants.

Gally nodded, staring at her. He immediately noticed how she kept her eyes off of him. "You okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good." She brushed the hair out of her face and tucked the loose strands behind her ears.

The tall man studied her actions. It was clear she wasn't good. "You sure? If it's Jordan, I can-"

"It's not," she cut him off quickly, almost rudely. Emma closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Sorry. I'm sorry." She hadn't meant to snap at him. Gally had done nothing wrong besides care about her. She was still slightly bothered that they hadn't talked about their kiss. Gally wasn't acting much differently. If anything, nothing had changed between them other than the abnormal closeness. "I just didn't sleep well last night, and I'm so exhausted." It was stupid, but Emma knew he wouldn't judge her. He never did. She could always be honest with him.

"You're cranky because you didn't get all your beauty sleep?"

Emma gently punched his shoulder. "You're such a Slinthead. Wait until I tell Newt you got jokes."

"You wouldn't dare," he responded.

Emma wiggled her eyebrows in response. "Try me." Gally playfully rolled his eyes. The girl caught sight of Frypan walking toward them, no doubt about to start preparing lunch for the day. "Thanks for your help. I should get back before Zart hunts me down. He hates being left with Greenies."

"Yeah, that new guy's a piece of work," Gally muttered, more to himself.

"You're just mad he knocked you down yesterday."

Galley scoffed, offended by her words. "I let him do that."

Emma laughed, shaking her head. "Sure you did." She patted his chest, letting her hand linger a few moments too long. "I'll see you later, yeah?"

"Yeah," Gally responded softly. "Looking forward to it."

"Okay, weirdo." With that, she dropped her hand and began walking away. She thought she could feel his eyes on her, but she wasn't brave enough to check. Emma hoped he was watching. The idea made her smile.

Walking toward the Gardens, she could see the new Greenie. He wasn't hard to spot, sticking out among the others. He glanced her way but didn't stop to question her existence. It was as if he didn't care, which Emma found herself appreciative of that.