Chapter 11

The next morning, Emma's distant. At first, nobody noticed. Everyone was too busy working.

The first to notice was Newt. He made several jokes, which she barely acknowledged. He initially took it personally, but then he realized something was off. He didn't comment about it. The following people to realize something was off were Jack, Brandon, and Zart. Since they worked together, they quickly figured out something wasn't right.

She acted fine. Brushed off their comments asking if she was all right. Emma didn't want to make a big deal out of what happened. Jordan was being typical Jordan. There was no point complaining about their mutual friend.

The Gardeners had been pulling weeds all day, venturing from the Gardens in the hope of expanding. They each had a section. Emma was struggling. There were some she couldn't pull out. Brandon and Zart used machetes, but Emma didn't have one. Newt had been pulled away by Alby. She couldn't ask for his.

It seemed she would have to wait until later before getting her hands on a machete. That meant she was useless. Wanting to help, she brought some of the vegetables to the Kitchens. That was how she currently found herself leaning on the structure, talking to Frypan.

She told him about her struggles, and he listened. He always listened. Their talks had started to grow longer. Sometimes, Newt would have to get her and drag her back to work.

"Why don't you ask the Builders?" He cut onions and dropped them in a large bowl. "They have tons of tools."

Emma had thought about that, but she didn't want to be a bother. It would be fine if she could ask Dmitri, but Gally was always close by. She felt like a bother anytime she asked the Builders for anything. "I should, but I don't know, Fry," she sighed dramatically. "I don't want to be a bother, you know?"

He did know. He knew Emma was worried about doing anything to get on Gally's bad side, fearing he would hate her more. "I know, but you have to get your work done."

"And I will," she assured him. "After everyone's done with their tools."

Frypan gave her a pointed look. "You'll be out there till dawn."

"Fine by me." She struggled to sleep. It would give her something to do.

"Emma-"

"Hey, Fry," Gally said as he approached. He didn't acknowledge the girl.

"Hey, Gally," Frypan greeted him. "What can I do for you?"

Gally stood beside Emma. The girl pushed off the counter but remained silent. "I need a glass."

"Sure thing." Frypan reached behind him and grabbed a jar. "You're usually here earlier."

Emma looked between the two boys, unsure if she should greet Gally or stay quiet. "Had to help Alby," he explained. "Thanks, Fry." Without looking at her, he walked toward the water pipe. However, his arm gently brushed against hers. Emma felt his fingers graze hers. A chill went down her spine at the unexpected contact.

She watched Gally, biting her lip. He didn't revolt at the accidental contact. Was that a good sign? Was she making progress? To her, it seemed like progress was being made.

Instantly, her mood changed. The troubles that had presented themselves no longer mattered. She felt determined, eager to try and talk to Gally. Something told her if she tried again, something would change. "Give me a cup, Fry."

Frypan, who was expecting her words, held up the cup he had for her. "Go get 'em, girl."

Emma chuckled, walking after Gally. She searched her mind for something to say. Starting a conversation with him was always the hardest part. What was she supposed to say? A simple hello wasn't enough. He would simply scowl and walk off.

Her time was running out to think. She was nearly at the water pipe. "Hey, Gally," she greeted. His body didn't tense as it usually did. Most likely, he was expecting her. At this point, she was becoming predictable. "How are you?" To her right, she could hear Frypan scoff. She glanced at him. He gestured for her to keep going, wanting her to be more creative. "Did you-"

Gally turned on his heel, facing her. Emma stepped back at the abrupt nature of his actions. Her cheeks darkened, fear taking over. She had no idea what was about to happen. Was he going to yell at her? Call her annoying for constantly bothering him? Tell her to Shuck off?

Whatever Gally was going to say got caught in his throat. His mouth opened, closed, and then reopened. "You have some dirt on your forehead." He had spoken to her. Not about work, tools, or broken locks. He talked to her.

And she smiled, despite him attempting to embarrass her. "Well, I do work in the Gardens. That tends to happen." She stepped closer, eyeing his dusty brown shirt. There were several things she wanted to say, but she didn't. She decided to respond the way he spoke to her. "You have sawdust all over you, by the way."

Gally's eyebrows raised. Close by, Frypan chuckled, shaking his head. Emma stepped toward the water pipe but kept her eyes on Gally. He sighed, closing his eyes for a minute.

What happened next surprised both of them. "Here." Gally had taken out his personal machete. He held it up by the blade, holding the handle out for her.

"What?" She didn't understand.

"You're a loud talker," he explained. Embarrassment raced through her. Her entire face turned pink. "Take it before I change my mind."

Not needing to be told twice, she grabbed the machete. "Gally-"

"Return it when you're done."

"I will, thank you." She offered him another friendly, genuine smile. Gally simply pursed his lips, nodded, and walked in the other direction. The girl watched him for a moment, holding the machete limply. It didn't seem like much, but it was a huge step for Emma. "Progress," she whispered to herself. "I'll take it." Without filling up her water, she walked toward the Gardens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emma finished in the Gardens. She fell backward, wiping the sweat from her forehead. Everyone else had finished an hour ago, but she hadn't. It was late. Dinner would be ready soon. She knew showering before was in her best interest, but she had to return Gally's machete first. He was kind enough to lend it to her.

"Greenie, hey," a voice called out.

Emma looked up to see Dmitri. "Hey." She pushed off the ground, holding the machete. "What are you doing over here?"

The boy rubbed his hands together, eyes scanning the area. "I need some help. Your help, actually."

That got her attention. "With what?" Emma was concerned. "Everything okay?"

"Sort of," he began. "I slipped up today. It's a long story. Can you help me, please?"

"Yeah, of course." She had no idea what he needed but was happy to help. "Whatever you need, but I have to return this to Gally first." Emma held up the machete. "He let me borrow it, and I don't want to upset him by not returning it."

Dmitri squinted. "Is that his personal machete?" He had noticed Gally didn't have it earlier.

"Yeah."

"You took it?" Dmitri began to panic.

"What? No." Emma hadn't taken it. "He let me borrow it."

An awkward silence followed. Dmitri blinked, unable to speak. "Gally," his words were slow, "let you borrow that?"

"Yeah." She had already said that.

"But he doesn't let anyone use his personal tools. It's his number one rule."

Emma's eyebrows shot up in shock. "Oh." She had no idea what to say. Was it a good thing Gally let her borrow his machete? Or was it bad? Was he hoping she would break it so he could yell at her? "Is it a bad or good thing?"

"I'm not sure."

"Great." Emma began to panic. "Great. I need to give it back." Her attention returned to him and what he originally needed. "What do you need my help with again?"

Dmitri gave her an apprehensive smile. "I'll explain on the way."

"Great," she said, following after him.