Chapter 47

Emma's hand rested above her gun, which was holstered against her hip. Her heart felt as if it was racing in her chest. Any faster, and it would tear itself apart.

This was it. Months of planning and preparation led to this day. The day they rescued Minho, Aris, and Sonya. So much could go wrong. There were several moving parts in place that had to go perfectly. One mistake, and they failed. They could be killed or taken by WICKED to be used as blood bags.

The stakes were high, but it was worth it. They had to rescue Minho, no matter the risk.

Emma bowed her head, closing her eyes. Even though it was worth the risk, it was still terrifying. The last time she was in an unknown situation, she took a bullet to the abdomen. She nearly bled out.

It was hard to think about. Emma liked to pretend it never happened, but that was hard, considering there were physical scars to remind her. It reminded her of the pain she felt. Reminded her of losing Minho and Teresa betraying them.

Teresa.

It was hard to think about her once friend, even after months. The betrayal she felt still lingered.

Even with her eyes closed, she could feel Newt's eyes on her. "What?" She opened her eyes, turning toward the boy. He was, in fact, already looking at her. "What?"

"You look like Klunk."

Emma rolled her eyes. "You're a real sweet talker, Newt. A real Shucking charmer."

Newt snorted, shaking his head. "Relax. Take a deep breath."

"I am relaxed."

"Really? Because you look ready to shoot me, and I'd really hate that."

A smile pulled at the corner of her lip. "I wouldn't shoot you." She paused, "probably." Emma leaned against the rock they were hiding behind. Their part of the plan was to wait until Thomas and Vince stopped the train by the hidden markers. Emma doubted they would stop the train perfectly, but she had hope it wouldn't be too far of a jog. "This plan is going to work." It had to work. It couldn't be for nothing. Emma had lost too much. If they didn't rescue Minho today, they never would.

"I know," Newt's voice wavered. Emma realized he was also nervous but much better at hiding it. "Just don't get clumsy on us, and we'll be good."

That caused her to laugh. "I left that clumsy girl back in the Glade."

"I know," Newt squeezed her shoulder. "I just like to mess with you."

Distantly, she could hear the train as it approached. Newt heard it as well. "Here they come." Emma released a shaky breath, trying to calm down. She needed to think clearly and strategically. Minho depended on her.

"Ready?"

"Yeah," she said. "I'm ready."

The train came to a stop. Emma was certain of it. She could hear the brakes squealing as the weight of the train cars fought the brake system. The two of them were frozen in place. They couldn't stand up until Thomas signaled.

Twenty seconds later, Thomas whistled. "Newt! Emma!" Emma let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. Standing up, she noticed Thomas first. "Come on." He waved, standing in front of the back half of the train. The front of the train was still trying to stop.

It was a perfect stop. She was impressed.

"Let's go," Newt said. Emma nodded. Quickly, she ran toward the train, followed by two others that would help Newt weld and fend off the WICKED soldiers.

"Minho!" Thomas screamed their friend's name as he pounded on the metal.

"Minho," Emma joined him. "Minho!" People began screaming. It was hard to distinguish the voices. Minho was somewhere inside. Along with Aris and Sonya, but Emma couldn't tell the voices apart.