Chapter 28

Emma sat with Thomas and Chuck as Newt and Zart worked to clear the stump. Its roots were buried in the ground, making the task challenging. It didn't help that Emma wasn't helping, but she was given specific orders not to. Zart had said that she hadn't injured herself in a while and wanted to keep the streak going. Newt added that Gally was a hassle on his own, even more so when she was injured or in a situation where she could be injured. Emma glared at him in retaliation. He didn't say anything about Gally after that.

"But why would Alby go into the Maze?" Thomas spoke again. Chuck messed with a wood carving he was working on. "He's not a Runner." The Greenie asked a lot of questions, and Emma tried not to let it bother her. He was curious, it's natural, but he was excessive. Every question that entered his brain had to come out. She was worried enough as it was about Minho and the other Runners. Now Alby was out there with Minho. It was unclear why a Griever would attack Ben in the middle of the day. Knowing that he could be attacked meant that none of them were safe. Emma was worried for her friends.

"Things are different now," Newt explained kindly, but he was starting to lose his patience as well. "Alby went with Minho to retrace Ben's footsteps. Are you going to help?"

Thomas ignored his question, mind distant with thoughts of Ben. "So, they're going back to where Ben was just stung?" It was dangerous, but they had to get answers. They needed to understand what was happening and if anyone else was at risk.

"Listen, Alby knows what he is doing. He knows better than any of us."

Thomas grunted, unhappy with his response. "What does that even mean?" It was a cryptic answer. Emma knew that, but she was thirty seconds from pulling her hair out. Chuck seemed to sense her unease and patted her knee. She glanced at him, smiling softly.

Newt stopped working to look at Thomas properly. "Okay, you've heard about the box, right? Every month it sends up a new arrival. Well, someone had to be first. Someone had to have spent an entire month here alone. That was Alby." Emma already knew this. "It wasn't easy, but then a new Greenie would arrive one after another. He saw this place for what it was." Newt started striking the stump with his machete again. "He learned that the most important thing was that we all have each other. We are in this together." He paused to catch his breath.

Thomas went silent after that. He glanced at Chuck and then at Emma. He had yet to comment about her being the only girl. Truthfully, it was like he didn't care. She was just another stranger to him. Emma hated that it pleased her. Having someone finally treat her like everyone else without thinking twice was refreshing.

Thomas pushed off the log and grabbed a spare machete, planning to help Newt. He begins beating the roots with the sharp object. "There you go, Greenie."

Behind them, grey clouds loomed. Emma knew it wouldn't be long until the rain began. Minho and Alby were still in the Maze, but they should be back soon. She tried not to worry about them. They would come back and explain their findings. Reassuring everyone that the incident was a one-time thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rain did not stop. Emma stood under the Homestead while waiting for Minho and Alby to return with several Gladers. The rest were scattered under different buildings trying to stay dry and keep an eye on the doors.

They should have been back hours ago.

The doors were closing in less than two hours. Minho always liked to get back with plenty of time to spare in case things changed one day. He had never cut it this close before.

Emma pushed away every negative thought. She couldn't stomach the idea of losing two others. Alby was the leader of the Glade. They needed him, and Minho was one of her closest friends.