Chapter 26

Emma had exactly one hour after the new Greenie arrived before Newt was marching toward her. He wasn't angry, but he seemed frazzled. "Hey, Newt," she greeted, tugging a tarp off the fertilizer stands. It had been placed there during the last rain storm. "Been gone a while. How's the new Greenie holding up?"

"Fine," he said without much care. "Alby put him in the Pit for a minute to make sure he didn't try to run into the Maze and get himself killed." Emma could understand that logic. "He's fine now. Chuck's with him, I think."

"That's good," Emma agreed. She watched him carefully. "Saw you talking to Gally. What was that about?"

"What do you think?" His tone was harsher than he intended it to be. Newt noticed how Emma winced, and a tidal wave of guilt washed through him. "Sorry, sorry." He hadn't meant to snap. "Just stressed. Didn't mean to take it out on you."

"It's okay," Emma smiled sincerely. It was her fault Newt was stressed to begin with. They still needed to figure out what to do with Jordan. It wouldn't be long until Gally held a Gathering to figure it out. "Find anything out?"

"Just talked, is all." Emma wasn't sure she believed Newt. "Nothing to worry about. At least, not right now. Alby wants to wait a few days and let the new Greenie adjust, but Gally, you know-" he waved his hand. "Has his own opinions."

Emma looked away from Newt, a frown on her face. She knew Gally wanted Jordan Banished, and he had been vocal about it since the incident. "And what do you think?"

Newt sighed, shaking his head. "I'll do whatever you want."

"That's not a real answer, Newt." Emma took a step closer. "What do you think?"

"I think," he began, "that he should be Banished." Emma clenched her jaw. "But I know that's not what you want."

"We can't just Banish people," she argued. "He didn't do anything wrong-"

"He broke the rules," Newt responded, voice gaining volume.

"Technically, he didn't. He didn't harm me, just scared me. There's a difference."

Newt rolled his eyes. "And when he tripped you? Was that not harming you?" Emma pursed her lips, knowing Newt had a point. "I understand your hesitations and respect them, but don't invalidate what he did. If he stays, if we don't Banish him and there's a next time, it could be worse. Gally might not be there." Emma knew he was right, but it didn't make her choice any easier. "Take a couple of days. Think about it."

She nodded before speaking. "Okay." Emma wanted to take the time to think about her options.

"Good." Newt licked his lips. "Now, tell me about-" he stopped talking, eyes on something behind her. The blond squinted before standing taller. "Bloody hell."

"What?" Emma turned to see what had captured his attention. Her eyes found Gally just as he shoved the Greenie. The new Glader flew back a few feet before hitting the ground.

"I don't have time for this today," Newt complained, striding toward them.

Emma was quick to follow, eyes never leaving Gally. The new Glader stood up, shouting angrily. Gally attempted to calm him down but failed. By now, dozens of Gladers were running toward the communion.

Newt ran ahead, but Emma decided to stay behind. She knew from past experiences that the Greenies seeing a random girl usually sent them spiraling. It was better to wait until they adjusted before introducing herself.

"Take it easy. Relax," Gally kept saying.

"What the hell is wrong with you guys?"

"Calm down," Newt tried to calm him down.