Chapter 32

The doors were open. The sky was dark. Voices filled the air, full of panic and fear. It was only a matter of time before Grievers stumbled upon the open doors and entered the Glade.

Suddenly, there was a loud clank behind them. Emma's body jerked, body ducking down. Turning around, her eyes widened when she realized the other set of Maze doors were opening.

Then the doors to the right began to open, and then the left. Now, there were four open sets of doors leading to the Glade. Four different ways for Grievers to enter.

Emma looked around, processing the current situation. It wasn't good. "Chuck," Thomas broke the silence. "Go to the Gathering room. Start barricading the doors."

"Winston, go with him," Newt added.

"Get the others," Gally said. "Go tell them to hide. Now!" A few Gladers nodded at him, running off toward the forest.

"Minho. I need you to get every weapon you can. We'll meet you there."

Minho nodded, "let's go." He ran toward the Runners hut in the woods, Newt and Frypan following him.

"Teresa, Emma. We are going to go get Alby." Emma glanced at Thomas, who was already looking at her. She nodded, unable to say anything. On the inside, her mind was falling victim to panic. On the outside, she looked bland. Like nothing was affecting her when it was the opposite.

"Run!" Some screamed. "Grievers!"

"Run! Go back!"

"Run!" A screech echoed down the Maze corridor. Emma glanced over her shoulder to see two Grievers inside the Maze.

The Grievers were coming. Emma took a step back, eyes wide in fear and horror. The creatures were more terrifying in person. "Okay, everyone, hide!" Thomas took off in a run, nudging Emma to follow. However, Teresa didn't. She was paralyzed by fear. "Teresa." He ran back and grabbed her hand, tugging her roughly in order to get her to move. It did the trick. She started running.

"Run! Run!"

"Go!"

"Run!"

"Go!" Emma ran as fast as she could toward the crops. Several other Gladers were with them, hiding in the only place they could. It was close, and they didn't have time to go elsewhere. Not without a plan on how to get to the Med-Jack hut safely.

Emma felt her steps start to falter. Looking around, she noticed two things. One, there were Grievers inside the Glade already. Two, Gally wasn't with her anymore. In fact, she couldn't see him anywhere. "Gally?" Emma searched for him, pausing her steps without realizing it. "Gally!"

"Emma!" Thomas ran back. "Come on!" He grabbed her arm, dragging her into the corn stalks. Emma moved with him, but her mind was still trying to figure out what was happening.

Grievers were in the Maze. They were trapped. Gally was missing. She had no idea what was going on. Emma had never felt so scared.

"Help me!" Gladers were screaming from each direction.

"Someone help!" More screaming.

"Run!" Grievers screeched.

"Stay down!" Thomas pushed Emma to the floor, along with Teresa. They crouched against the soil, bodies trembling.

It was dark. The sun was long gone. There was silence within the group hiding in the corn stalks, but outside there was screaming. It surrounded them. Reminded them of what was going on.

It was hard to see. The only light they had was from torches. Emma felt someone brush their shoulder against hers. She glanced at the person. It was Jack, her friend. He was beside her. They stared at each other, terrified and unsure of what was happening. The Maze doors hadn't closed, and nothing made sense. Emma had no idea what to do. Right now, she's following Thomas. It didn't matter that Gally hated him. She didn't. She trusted him.