Chapter 36

Emma wasn't surprised when she was the last to enter the examination room. She felt the cleanest she had ever been. Her hair felt soft. As it dried, there were more waves than normal and no frizz. It made her feel different, but not in a good way. She felt like a stranger inside her own body.

Suddenly, there was a pinch to her arm. Emma flinched, looking down. "Sorry," the woman, Dr. Crawford, offered her a sympathetic smile. "I know it pinches."

"What was that?"

"It's just some vitamins," she explained kindly. "Stuff your bodies been deprived of in the Maze. Don't worry. It'll help keep you healthy."

Emma nodded, trying to understand. These people wanted to help them. They wanted to make sure they were healthy. It was a weird feeling. For so long in the Glade, she was used to a certain lifestyle. Having to work in order to survive. The last thing on her mind was vitamins and staying healthy. It was about staying alive.

"You're all set to join the others. They're in the cafeteria eating."

Emma looked across the room where the curtain was slightly open. She could see Teresa talking to someone. "What about Teresa?"

Dr. Crawford didn't look at the girl in question. "They're running a few more tests. She'll be out there shortly, okay?"

"More tests? Is she okay?" Emma was immediately concerned. After losing so much, she feared anything happening to her friend.

"She's fine. However, you won't be if you don't eat something. It's been a while, and you need some protein."

Emma pursed her lips but didn't argue. She felt uneasy about leaving Teresa but had to trust these people. They were helping them. The last thing she needed to do was complain. "Okay."

"Great." Dr. Crawford stood up. She took off the plastic gloves and tossed them in a trash can. "Follow me. I'll show you where to go."

Emma didn't say anything, but she did as told. Standing up, she trailed after the taller woman. Stepping into the brightly lit corridor, she rolled up the sleeves of the shirt she was wearing. It wasn't hers, not really. Just something she pulled off the shelf. The fabric was soft and smelled nice, and she hated it. There was something wrong and unfamiliar about it.

"Your friends are right through here."

"Thanks." Emma pushed open the door, lips parting at the sight before her. It was a room full of tables with people sitting at them. Everyone was around her age. They were talking and laughing while they ate.

Boys and girls alike. All crowded around tables with smiles on their faces. It didn't feel real.

Everything was different. Everything had changed, and Emma's mind couldn't comprehend the situation she was in. Mentally, she felt like she was still stuck in the Maze. Stuck in the room with the dead WICKED workers. Back with Gally and Chuck, whose bodies were left behind to rot.

Emma shuddered at the mental image. She took a deep breath, trying to rid herself of the thoughts, but they wouldn't go away.

The memories wouldn't go away. The sounds Gally made, his body hitting the floor, and Chuck's final words were burned into her brain.

She felt like she couldn't breathe.

"Emma," someone called her name. The dark-haired girl looked up, finding Newt rushing toward her. His face was filled with worry. "Hey, hey. You're okay. Breathe." He knew her better than anyone, and he knew when she needed help. Emma nodded, more to herself, and took a deep breath. Then another. Then another. "Good, good. You're okay, see?"