Chapter 35

Everything felt different.

Everything was different.

They escaped the Maze, but at what cost? Over half of them that entered didn't make it. Chuck had been shot and killed. Minho put a spear through Gally's chest.

Gally was dead.

Emma exhaled shakily. There were no tears, and none had fallen since she left the facility. It didn't feel real, any of it.

It was all happening so quickly.

Everything was changing.

The helicopter ride was long and bumpy. Some of them slept while others stared out the window. Emma was one of the few who couldn't sleep. She couldn't sleep because every time she closed her eyes, she saw him. She saw Gally with the spear in his chest. Newt had turned her away, but it wasn't fast enough.

She saw enough.

She heard him struggling to breathe and his body hitting the floor. Emma had turned back to look at him one last time and saw him lying motionless on the floor.

It was all too much.

Everything was changing.

When they arrived wherever they were, it was late into the night. "Come on," the man yelled at them as the door was flung open. The sound was barely heard over the helicopter's propellers. "Hurry!" She pushed out of her seat, following Frypan down a slope toward a massive building with bright lights. The wind was blinding, and sand slammed against her skin. She raised her hand, trying to figure out what was going on.

There was screaming in the distance, but Emma was focused on following the others inside the building.

"Get the kids inside!" Emma felt like she was lost in a crowd, unable to recognize the faces of her friends due to the wind and lights.

"Come on!" There were gunshots.

The group ran inside the building, which was colder than the night air. Thomas was the last to enter, his body shaking slightly. The heavy metal doors behind them closed with a bang, the sound echoing through the building.

The area they were in was massive. There were people everywhere, many older than them. It was odd. Emma had only ever remembered knowing people around her age. Now, there were men and women of all different ages. Some wore lab coats, others wore thick suits, and a few wore dark uniforms and held large weapons.

"Come on." A man ushered them toward a corridor with a low ceiling. None of them argued with the man and did what they were told. Mainly because they had no idea what was going on. This was all new to them.

Everything was changing.

They arrived at another door. Quickly, the man leading them pushed it open. "Hurry. Come on." All of them were rushed into the room. "Hurry. Hurry. Hurry." Once inside, the door slammed closed behind them.

"Hey!" Thomas pounded on the door. The lights in the room began to turn on, but none of them were sure what to do.

"What do we do now?"

Thomas looked at the group, hands falling to his sides. "I don't know."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emma should sleep. She knows she should, but she can't. She won't close her eyes because she knows what her dreams will consist of. Gally.

Gally was dead.

He followed them into the Maze. Got stung. Killed Chuck. And then Minho killed him.

Emma's eyes flickered to the former Keeper of the Runners. It was odd to think of him that way. He was no longer a Runner. They had escaped the Maze. Still, that's how Emma knew him best. He was the Keeper of the Runners but also her friend.