Chapter 50

Emma never thought of herself one way. She liked to think she was a good person. Sure, she wasn't perfect. She had flaws and had done things, awful things in order to protect her friends. To keep others safe. Things she wasn't proud of but wouldn't change.

She thought she was a good person, but now she wasn't so sure.

Gally was alive.

Emma shouldn't feel anything but grateful. However, as grateful as she was, she couldn't help but feel a million other things. Anger. Sadness. Fear. Betrayal. Regret.

She remembered Gally. The version of him from before. The one she loved back in the Glade. The easily angered, defensive, smug Keeper of the Builders who never lost a fight. The person who she spent her nights talking to on the tree hut. The person she trusted the most was the same person who didn't believe in her.

He chose the Glade over freedom. Over hope. Over her. He didn't think she'd survive in a tougher world. Gally would have rather Banished her than be disagreed with.

Then he followed them into the Maze anyway, got stung, killed Chuck, and then Minho killed him. Or attempted to. He didn't die. He just had to watch them leave as he bled out, believing that help wasn't coming for him.

Gally was many things, and complicated was one of them. In the Glade, he was kind to her but mean to everyone else. He was just scared. Emma knew that, but it didn't matter. The end result was tragic.

She couldn't save him. She couldn't save herself from the fallout.

She couldn't save anyone.

Brenda placed a hand on her shoulder, squeezing gently. "Be careful, okay?"

Emma nodded at her, forcing a smile that didn't meet her eyes. "I'll be fine. Try not to miss me too much." Brenda rolled her eyes, but there was still hesitation in her expression. Emma was joining Newt and Thomas on their journey to the city with Gally.

Gally pushed a metal lid off of a hole. A few of the others looked down, wanting to see. He then dropped a ladder into the hole. Emma stayed back, clenching her hands to ground herself. She had to force herself to stay focused. Minho was still captured. That was why they were here. It was all that mattered.

Nothing else mattered. Not Gally being alive. Not the thought of losing others. Just Minho.

"Be safe, Thomas," Jorge whispered, glancing at Emma. "You too."

Gally sat down, preparing to climb down, when Frypan stopped. "Gally." The blond glanced up at him. "Take care of these three."

Anyone watching could see the way Gally visibly tensed. "Yeah," he responded a few seconds later. Clearing his throat, he climbed down the ladder.

Emma took a deep breath, burying her feelings. She focused on Minho and only Minho. Thomas climbed down next, then Newt. Emma went last. She moved slowly, uneasy about joining them. She wished she hadn't agreed. She wished it was Brenda or Frypan instead of her.

It was dark, as expected. Once her feet landed on the bottom, they sunk into an inch of sewer water. The smell was awful, but Emma did her best to ignore it.

Gally turned on his flashlight, nodding at them to follow. Newt groaned. "This is so gross."

"This is so great," Thomas dragged out the words.

Gally stopped at a container mounted to a wall, flipping a switch on the side. Instantly, the tunnel was illuminated by lights. Being able to see should have relaxed Emma, but she remained on edge. The entire situation still didn't feel real.