Chapter 14

It had been a week. One week. Her ankle was better, but Jeff and Clint were being very cautious. She healed well so far, but one wrong move could ruin their hard work.

But Emma was going nuts. After five days, they let her return to her room, but being there was worse. There were no windows. It was dark. Newt would help her to the hammocks, where she would swing for hours but was bored all the time.

A new Greenie had arrived, but she didn't attend the bonfire. At the time, it was her second day of bed rest. It was better for her to stay in bed. It wasn't ideal, but she knew there would be more. Newt and Zart were kind enough to stay with her. They hung out. Jack joined them with food. Minho and Ben showed up as well, but only for a bit. They went to bed early since they had to run in the Maze in the morning. Dmitri came as well. He had apologized for what happened, but she didn't blame him.

Now, a week later, she was still on rest. Luckily, Alby had a plan. He was going to let her help Frypan cut vegetables in the kitchen. It would give her something to do. He agreed because she was driving him crazy with her complaints about sitting around. Most Gladers would be thrilled to have time off, but she was different. Always having to prove herself.

Still, it wasn't enough for Emma. So, when she knew everyone was busy at dinner, she snuck out of the Homestead. Her ankle was bruised, but it didn't hurt too bad. She hobbled around the Homestead, going by the trees. The sun felt great on her skin. It felt nice to be outside. Her goal was to get to the tree hut, but that never happened. After a bit, her ankle started to hurt. Unfortunately, she was far from the Homestead. "Shuck, shuck," she muttered under her breath. Her entire leg hurt.

Before she could think of a plan, someone approached. "Greenie, hey." It was Jordan. "What are you doing out? You're supposed to be on bed rest."

Emma closed her eyes, a sigh escaping. It was just her luck that Jordan would find her. He always found her. Now, she was injured and couldn't get away. "Was just out for a walk."

"You okay?" He eyed her. "Does your ankle hurt?"

"No." Emma accidentally placed more weight on her ankle. The pain caused her to wince.

Jordan raised an eyebrow. "Come on. I'll help you get back before Newt catches you." He wrapped an arm around her, his hand resting on her lower back. It was unnecessarily low.

"No," Emma gently tried to move away from Jordan. She struggled with the pain in her ankle. "I really don't need any help. I can manage. Thank you." She would rather go alone.

"Come on. It's really no trouble. Let me help you." It was as if he wasn't hearing her.

Jordan tried to touch her again, but Emma stepped back. "I'm really fine. I don't need any help, okay?" She didn't want him touching her. They weren't close friends. It would be different if it were Newt, Zart, or Jack. Someone she considered a friend—someone she trusted.

"Come on-" his hands reached out, fingers barely brushing over her arm.

Emma kept moving away from him. He wasn't listening to her. "I'm fine. I don't need your help. I don't want it." It was starting to get weird. Why wasn't he letting it go? Nobody else pushed this much.

"Come on." His tone was getting angrier. "You let others help you. Why can't I?"

Jordan grabbed her arm roughly. Emma ripped her arm away, stumbling back. "Stop. I'm-" as she kept moving backward, her back hit something solid. It surprised her. She looked up to see Gally, a scowl on his face.

"Everything all right here?" His eyes remained locked on Jordan. It was the first time Emma had seen him since the incident. She had wanted to see him, but he never came to visit. She started to fear he still hated her, that whatever bonded them that day only mattered to her.