Chapter 9

Everyone had dropped the subject, but nobody forgot. Emma kept to herself most of the day. It was easier that way. Alby was searching for the culprit behind the broken lock, but nothing had turned up. Nobody would admit to breaking the lock, and nobody saw anything either.

Emma knew nobody would ever come forward. Why would they? They would be punished.

She did her best not to let it bother her, but still, it did. How could it not? Some Shank wanted to watch her shower. It was disgusting.

Her movements felt distant. Her mind was miles away. Emma kept working in the Gardens, refusing to fall behind on her work. That was the last thing she wanted. Proving herself to others was a constant priority for her. The girl wanted to prove to everyone she was a Glader.

As she shoveled, her hands lazily gripped the wood. Driving the shovel into the dirt, she unexpectedly hit a rock. Her hands slid down the wood. It was uneven and jagged. A piece went into her hand. Emma gasped, dropping the shovel. The wood chunk fell out of her hand. Blood appeared.

Newt looked up quickly. "You okay?"

"Yeah, splinter," she responded.

The Second-in-Command eyed her palm. "That's more than a splinter. You need to go to the Med-Jack hut."

"It's fine." Emma wanted to stay and keep doing her job.

He rolled his eyes at her dismissive attitude. "Wasn't a suggestion. Go, now." Newt pointed at the hut.

Emma huffed. "Fine, but I'll be back soon." Newt waved his hand, ushering her away. She turned on her heel, marching toward the Med-Jack hut. There wasn't anything they could do besides clean the cut and put a bandaid on it.

She cursed internally about her carelessness. If her mind was focused on the task, it never would have happened. Emma couldn't do anything right. She had noticed that. She always messed things up. She messed up the Glade. She messed up her job. She messed up everything.

Arriving at the Med-Jack hut, she knocked on the door. Jeff looked up from his spot by a shelf. "Hey," he stood up.

"Hey," Emma entered the hut. "You busy?"

"Clearly," Jeff laughed as he gestured to the empty room. "What can I do for you?"

"I got a splinter. Newt made me come get it checked out."

"Take a seat." Emma sat down on the closest bench. Jeff walked over and stood in front of her. "Where?" She raised her arm and opened her hand. The Med-Jack's eyes widened slightly. "Looks like more than a splinter."

"It was large." He chuckled, shaking his head. "I got the wood out."

"That's helpful." Jeff grabbed a sanitizing pad and wiped her palm. It burned, causing her to flinch. "Sorry," he apologized. "I tended not to warn people it burns. They'll try to get out of it."

Emma nodded in understanding. "It's fine. Not so bad now." The burning went away.

"Only lasts a second." Jeff tossed the pad to the side. "It's not deep. No stitches needed." Emma didn't think she would need stitches. "How'd you get this?"

"Lost a fight to a shovel."

Jeff pretended to nod in understanding. "Happens to the best of us." Emma giggled. "Once I'm done wrapping it, you're free to go. Be gentle. It might be sore."

"Thank you, Jeff."

"Anytime." There was a silence as Jeff wrapped her hand. Emma pursed her lips. Once he was done, she planned to return to work and do her part, even if it hurt.