Epilogue

SEVERAL YEARS LATER

Peace. Something that everyone found in their own time. Some it was the night they arrived in the Safe Haven. Others it took years to find.

It wasn't easy. Some days were harder than others. In the start, everyone kept busy. The Safe Haven needed to be built, and that's what they did. They built and expanded and turned their home into something bigger.

Soon, the beach had different structures scattered around. Homes started on the forest's edge—some down paths between the trees.

Rather quickly, Gally proved himself to be one of the most accomplished builders. He wasn't only strong but wise. Able to create blueprints and design structures that nobody had even thought of. Vince appointed him head builder within the first few months. Gally wore the title like a badge of honor.

Frypan was the lead cook, taking younger kids under his wing whenever he could. Aris trained alongside Harriet and several others to become doctors. Wanting to learn anything and everything in case it was ever needed. Vince helped them as best he could.

Jorge enjoyed restoration. Fixing things up, like old radios and electronics. He singlehandedly brought power to the Safe Haven.

Minho and Thomas worked with Gally building different structures. It was good work, but it wasn't enough. Something was missing that neither could place.

Emma joined Sonya and Brenda in the gardens. It was a good starting place for her. She still had a lot to work through, and it gave her something to focus on. However, like Thomas and Minho, it just wasn't enough. Something was missing.

After a year, Vince held a small meeting they all attended. With how things were going, he wanted to expand. He wanted to explore where they lived and places like it. Venture out beyond what they knew. With the radios Jorge had created, they could keep in contact. He appointed Thomas, Minho, and Emma in charge of the exploration team.

It was the work they had all longed for—a chance to do more—an opportunity for adventure.

Gally was uneasy about Emma leaving. He initially went against it, but it was ultimately her decision. And she went. She went out with a group of ten, Minho and Thomas included. Emma found it healing. It was freeing, being able to wander and explore. To see the world once again.

But she always came back home.

More time went by. More buildings were developed. New people were found and brought back. Although, that didn't happen often. Most of the places they explored hadn't hosted people in decades. Others held graveyards and cranks. They never went to the mainland.

Two years into their time in the Safe Haven, Emma returned with Minho and Thomas on the boat after a week of exploring a distant island. The group was greeted on the dock that had been built. Unloading their supplies, Emma found Gally waiting for her on the sand.

"I have something to show you," were the first words out of his mouth.

Emma was skeptical but agreed nonetheless. Gally covered her eyes, leading her down the coast. "Where are we going?"

"Just trust me."

She did. There was nobody she trusted more.

A few minutes later, he turned her body, and they walked up the beach. The sand soon turned to dirt. Sticks poked her bare feet, but she didn't mind. "Okay," Gally said, stopping her. "Look." He moved his hand. Emma blinked a few times, adjusting to the light.

Looking up, she couldn't help but gasp. "Gally." She placed a hand on her chest, taking a step closer. It was a tree hut. Three floors high, built around a sturdy tree. One that wouldn't fall any time soon. One that could outlast the strongest storms. It was just like the one in the Glade.