Chapter 55

The entire city was at war. Buildings were tumbling. Everything was falling apart. Nowhere was safe.

Gally led them through the chaos, gun raised. She stayed close, unable to be far from Newt. He was running out of time. Thomas and Minho were carrying him, his legs almost entirely useless. They dragged against the ground. "Hang on," Thomas said. "We're nearly there."

"Just leave me." Newt choked on a black liquid his body was producing. Emma believed it to be blood.

Suddenly, an explosion occurred ahead. A car went soaring past them. The force knocked them all down. Gally threw his arm back, making sure everyone was behind him. "Get back!" People ran by, the ones from outside the walls. They screamed as they attacked, not caring about anything other than destroying WICKED.

Then, a familiar sound broke through the fighting. A berg flew over their heads and toward the tunnels. "Brenda." It was Brenda. It had to be.

Jorge, Emma thought. He completed his part of the plan.

"That's them," Thomas was relieved that help was close. "That's them. We gotta go."

"Go without me," Newt begged. He knew he was slowing them down, putting them in more danger. "Go-" his words were abruptly cut short by the black liquid he coughed up. He wheezed, chest heaving.

Newt couldn't go on his own. Minho and Thomas carrying him slowed them down. At this rate, the virus would take over before they made it to the berg. He wouldn't get the serum in time. "Minho," Thomas began, an idea forming in his head. "Run ahead and get the serum with Emma. Then come back to us as fast as you can." It was the fastest way to get the serum.

Emma blinked dumbly at the boy. "No, Thomas." She wasn't going to leave Newt.

"Go," he pleaded.

"He's right," Gally agreed. "I'll cover."

"I'll stay," Emma pushed, not wanting to leave either of them. "Gally and Minho-"

"Go," Newt said to her. Emma glanced at him. "Go with them, Em." It was safer than staying. Behind her, Gally stood up. Her lips parted, hands trembling. Newt wanted her to go.

"Newt-"

"Go, please," he begged, his eyes suddenly clear. "It's okay."

Emma wanted to argue. To scream at him and say that Thomas couldn't do this on his own, but she couldn't.

Instead, she cupped his cheek. His face was slick with sweat, but she didn't care. She didn't care that he barely looked like himself or that his skin was burning. "I'll be right back." She bent forward and kissed his forehead, a lump forming in her throat. "I'll be right back." It was a promise. She would come back with the serum. She would come back for him.

It took all her strength to let go of him and stand up. As Minho tried to do the same, Newt grabbed his hand. "Thank you," he said. "Thank you, Minho."

Emma's eyes burned with tears that she refused to let fall. Brenda had the serum. They'll get it and bring it back. They'll save him. Emma refused to lose him.

"Hey," Minho said to him. "Just hang on. You hear me?" They had to be fast. There wasn't much time.

Minho stood up. Taking one last look at Newt, she offered him a comforting smile. Turning around, Emma followed Gally onto the street. "Go, go!" They ran, moving quickly around the debris left behind.

She left Newt behind with Thomas. She left them.

Thomas was the leader. He could take care of himself. He was smart. When he was separated from the group with Brenda, he found his way back.