~ Chapter 20 ~

The last few days had been nothing but fun. The activities they experienced almost made Tamia forget about her terrible truth. She planned to have tell him soon since it was his last week here before he went back to France which was not too soon.

Their conversations were very exceeding. It wasn't bragging, it was cheerful excited nonstop chatter, one word after another.

Nick was by far the happiest to see her, he just couldn't keep his mouth shut. It wasn't the worst part though since Tamia never did most of the talking anyways unless it was necessary.

However, the amount of time she had been spending with him had drove a bit of a wedge between her and her boss, G. When Nick came around the group, he would say a formal hello to him but would say nothing else which was very unlike him.

He always had this almost judgemental far off look, sometimes emotionless. At times, this left her trying to interpret his body language and when G would catch her staring he'd always flirtatiously respond, "Like whatcha' see?"

Of course, Tamia denied it with a hot heat on her cheeks, folding her arms and looking away with the most straightest face she can.

But, for some reason, today just seemed off. Not weather wise, the sky was a light blue, clear of clouds, and rays of sunlight beaming down on the city. Perhaps it was just the anxiety she felt about telling Nick the truth. Yeah, that's it.

The two of them walked down parks trail, the cool breeze blowing into their clothes. There weren't many people at Ebott park that day, so it was a perfect peaceful place to break the news to him, the truth.

She glanced up at Nick, confliction, doubt, and worry filling her. She tightened her fingers in her palm then let them fall limp, releasing the unnerving tension she felt. Now was the time.

"Hey Nick, can we talk about something?" Tamia asked softly, clearing her throat. Nick smiled sweetly giving her another reason to feel guilt.

"Sure thing, Cupcake. What do you wanna talk about?"

"I prefer that we sit down for this," she advised.

"Okay..." He responded reluctantly. They sat down at a nearby bench table. He looked to her with a quirked brow, confusion clear in his features. "So, what is it you want to tell me?"

"We've been friends for as long as I can remember and... I haven't exactly been honest with you, at all," Tamia breathed, letting out a shaky sigh. She cupped her fist firmly on the table surface, leg bouncing nervously.

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean by my life all together. I've lied about... everything. The abroad trips, the souvenirs, the schools I attended, it was all a big lie. Fake."

"I never became your friend because of that if that's what you think-"

"No, you don't get. I've done some very, very bad things. Things I can't take back. Things I wasn't allowed to tell you or anyone else back then. I was trapped," Tamia interrupted sternly.

"Then what really happened? Why didn't you tell anyone?! Why didn't you tell me?!" Nick asked.

"I was a youth spy for the military. Everything I did was monitored by the superiors, the elites. I couldn't have possibly told anyone such classified information otherwise innocent people would suffer the consequences of my actions, therefore, I chose to be obedient and suffer in silence," she explained.

"If you were a spy... then did you-"

"Yes,—" Tamia sighed shamefully, averting his gaze. "—I killed people. Terrorists, enemies. Even after General Moore died, I still did so for money because I didn't know what else to do at that time. I was basically cut off from the world, no where to exist in the system. That's when a bounty hunter organization found me called the P. B. K. O. My codename was Shadow Soldier."