~ Chapter 30 ~

Alphys had called G late that night to spectate a few things for one of her latest project.

G had taken a look at the new blueprints, raising a suspicious brow.

"You want to use a human soul for this project? Alphys, you know we don't do that anymore—"

"I-I know! That's why I want a volunteer. Someone who's willing go through the experimentations for this project," she said.

"What kind of human soul do you want specifically?" He questioned.

"W-well, the project is to restore the purity of the soul, so perhaps one that has lost it's color or is debilitating as we speak," she explained, typing away at her keyboard into the computer system. "I-It's better if the subject is at least in their early twenties or late thirties otherwise it'd be too risky. I trust we probably don't know anyone like that though."

G remained silent, Tamia's soul popping up in his mind. He shook his head mentally at the thought. No, it was too dangerous. 

"Actually we do," Sans called out, appearing out of thin air.

Great. (Sense the sarcasm)

Turning to meet the gaze of the short skeleton, G glared at his brother who only lazy grinned at him in reply.

"Don't you fucking dare," he mouthed silently.

Completely ignoring his brothers command, Sans spoke again.

"W-what do you mean, Sans?" Alphys asked, puzzled.

"Well, it couldn't be none other than our fearless Shadow Soldier," he said, sliding his hands in his pants pockets.

"And how would you know that?" G questioned, crossing his arms.

"She told me not too long ago. It just slipped my mind that I forgot to tell ya' I guess," Sans shrugged.

"I-if that's the case, what's her soul trait?"

"Apathy," G answered before Sans could let the words roll off his tongue.

"How long have you known?" Sans asked, eyeing his brother.

"Ever since the party at Mettaton's. You?" He remarked.

"Since the chat we had after you left the room when she was sick," he replied.

"Huh. Figures," G scoffed, rolling his orbs.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sans glowered, orbs gone.

"Oh, you know exactly what that means. I shouldn't have to explain since you supposedly know everything considering the fact you're not even in charge," he retorted.

"Well, I sure know more than you do about your stupid little crush!"

Alphys looked between the two arguing brothers, a bead of sweat rolling down her face. How was she to resolve this without being yelled at?

"Watch what you say, Sans. I'm not in the mood for another one of your demeaning lectures."

"I'm not lecturing ya', I'm telling you the truth! Tamia, holds something dark!"

"Oh yeah? Then what is it?!" G growled, voice raising in volume. "Just what is it, Sans?! Do you even fucking know?!"

Sans faltered back with a grimace. "I—! No... No I don't, but I know she's dangerous."

"You can't just claim certain accusations and have no evidence," G said.

"U-um about the experiment?" Alphys finally spoke, raising a finger.

"Oh, right. What happens if the experiment is successful?" He asked, looking at the blueprints and formula sheets spread across the table.

"If it's successful, the subjects soul will return back to it's original state almost to that of the purity of an infant," she summarized, pushing her glasses up on her snout.

"And, if it doesn't?"

"Death."

"What are the chances of this project being a success?"

"S-so far, a twenty-two point nine percent," she gulped.

G shook his head. "If the chances are minimum, I can't allow it. I'm sorry."

"I-I understand."

"Before we shut this thing down, why not ask Tamia about it?" Sans said.

"No, we're not going to use her as if she's some lab rat, Sans," he hissed.

Sans raised his hands in defense, taking a step back. "I'm just sayin'. What if she agrees? Then what would you do?"

"I'd still say no. I'm not willing to put her or anybody else's life in danger."

"Even if it means giving her a new chance at life?"

"Why do you even care all of a sudden? You were never fond of her, why now?"

"Because whatever's in her soul is consuming her, I can see it. It's slowly taking every thread of her sanity, breaking her down in the slowest way possible. She might appear strong on the outside, but she's weak on the inside and you know it," Sans pointed out. "If there's a chance this project works, it could restore her health and stats the way it's supposed to be. She's abnormal and we need to fix it."

G pinched the bridge of his nasal cavity deeply sighing in frustration. "Just leave."

He turned his heel, making a beeline for the door. His boney palm gripped the handle and he paused, looking over his shoulder. "Just you wait, G. When Tamia breaks apart and you see what she really is... It won't be pretty for either one of ya'."

Sans left, the door clicking to a shut behind him. 

"S-so, what do we do now?" Alphys asked, pushing her glasses up on her snout. 

"Don't tell anyone about this project. Not my father, not Undyne, and definitely not Tamia.  It's strictly classified," G ordered, fixing the cuffs of his rolled up sleeves. "I've got somewhere else to be, so until then I'll give it some thought for the time being. I'll tell you my final decision in three days advance. Understood?"

"Y-yes, sir," she nodded. 

He exhaled with a tired sigh, rubbing a hand over his skull. "Good." He took his coat from the hanger and put it on, adjusting the collar. He turned his heel and waved lazily in exit. "Don't stay up researchin' too late, it's almost midnight. Have a goodnight, Alphys."

*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*

It didn't take long for him to arrive at his place and wash up. He leaned over against the balcony of his bedroom in his lonesome house, looking out to the lit city from afar as he had a usual smoke to calm his thoughts before he went to bed. 

He tapped the ash off his cigarette, placing the cancer stick back between his boney lips and inhaled the toxic fumes once again as if on repeat. The vanilla smoke streamed up from the sides of his mouth, dancing into the cold air. 

He couldn't possibly imagine Tamia agreeing to something that could put her life in jeopardy, yet again, she just might because her choices can be unpredictable. The chances of success were minimum with this purity soul experiment and the only failure of the result would most likely concur to death which he did not find in favor.

With the shake of his head, he pressed the cigarette bud face down into the ashtray beside him distinguishing the small heat. He headed back inside and closed the doors, shutting the black curtains behind him.

Should he even ask her? No, not now. Not when things were going so well. 

Perhaps, he'll cross that bridge when he gets there.