Chapter 1

I looked around as the sun made the shadows dance in my room. Raine was becoming Coven Head today. I knew they were gonna freak out when they have to make a short speech. I wasn't too keen on them becoming head, not because they wouldn't be good. They're the best! I wasn't keen on it because I knew Raine didn't really want this.
Spending the days with them made it really obvious that they didn't like this Day of Unity junk. I didn't like it either.
Something about it just never sat right with me, but in the end I knew I was going to have to participate.

I got up, using magic to change my clothes into my usual uniform before I head down to my coven. Since Raine would be absent today, that meant I had to make sure stuff actually got done. Today had tryouts for the coven, though we accepted roughly every person who auditioned, I think I've only ever seen like 5 people get turned away. I looked in the mirror, pulling my hair to the side and securing it with a barrette that was the coven symbol. I adjusted my earrings, taking the two on my left ear out and replacing them with two studs joined by a chain. One resting on the lob of my ear while the other was near the pointed tip of my ear. I liked this look. I grabbed my ocarina and sat it in the little pouch holder on my belt before taking my leave. I locked the door of my home before walking the short trip to the coven building. I flashed my sigil to the guard, who opened the door to let me in. I walked to the office, before noticing it was already unlocked. I knocked lightly before I heard a groan of frustration. I went inside to see Raine with their head on the desk. I couldn't help but snicker.

"Back already? How'd it go?" I smirked at them as they raised their head and adjusted their glasses.
"I messed up the speech and ran off. Great first day so far" they sighed, wiping the sweat from their forehead.

"I'm sure it wasn't that bad" I stated before Raine showed me the video.

"Wow... uh... no, yeah, you messed that up" I said blankly, earning a smile from them.

"I've got some plans I want to carry out today, some.... out of coven, things" they smiled, handing me a paper.
"You wanna do non coven stuff during work hours? Who are you and what the hell did you do to my Raine" I laughed, Raine joining me before shrugging their shoulders. I read over the paper before raising an eyebrow.

"How about we... head somewhere else, to discuss this?" I asked, before Raine stood and ushered me to join them. We walked out of the building, heading past the markets and through an old sewage pipe. We made our way to an older building, it was a hideout of sorts. It was cozy, I liked it. Was actually cleaner than my house. Raine had led me to a table in the middle, lined with maps and charts.

"So, I may or may not have created a little rebellion group, We call ourselves the Bards Against The Throne" Raine started, before I interupted with "You named yourselves the BATT's?"

"Finally someone gets it!" Raine shouted, I laughed at them as they laid out a map of the village square, where the fountain was. 3 other people entered, I knew them. Amber, Katya, and Derwin.

"We are going to the square today to free some wild witches. I know you aren't keen on the Day of Unity, so I want you to join us" Raine smiled at me, handing me something I missed.

"You found my lyre!" I cheered and grabbed it, inspecting the new strings, and the wood glue around where it broke. A few months ago, I was on a short mission on the Knee, to hunt down a basilisk that had escaped. I was only brought along to put the thing to sleep, but unfortunately I wasn't able to do that, it attacked us from behind, I got tossed off the mountain, one of the guards saved me but I lost my Lyre in the process. I only watched it smash and break against the cliff side before it fell out of my site. I've been stuck playing this ocarina instead, don't get me wrong, it's a lovely instrument, but uh... let's just say I'm a bit of a stress smoker. My lungs hurt a lot. I only smoke because it actually helps with the joint pain I have. I've been tossed around on some missions. I played a few notes, as the papers around us started to float. I played a small tune and stacked the papers on the table. I smiled, it sounded better than it did before.