Chapter 27

"Raine! I don't care how your hair looks! We're gonna be late!" I yelled at my closed bathroom door before I heard footsteps, then my bedroom door opened.

"Sunshine, your mother..."
"For the last time, Raine and I were accepted into the Bard Coven, and that's where I'm going" I rolled my eyes, letting out a long, annoyed sigh. 
We wouldn't be innitiated into our covens until next year, basic training takes around 8 months. Dad nodded, understanding perfectly, mom was just being a baby about it. Heaven forbid her child NOT join the Emporer's Coven.
But since we were accepted into our Coven's, we get to attend this years ball, which I was nervous about, so was Raine. 

"Really quick, I finished polishing that pendant you found, it'll go well with your dress" Dad had me turn around, before placing the red pendant around my neck and fastening it. I turned back to him, touching the stone and smiling as it glowed.

"You really think it belonged to a siren?"
"I mean I'm pretty sure it is, I can certainly feel the magic in it" I did a little spin, watching my dark red dress swirl around me. I really like red aparently.

My hair was in a half up, half down kind of style before Raine finally left the bathroom, their hair slicked back and they were wearing a dark red suit to match my dress. Red was also the color of our coven, maybe that's why we're drawn to it.

"You have the invites?" I tilted my head as Raine reached into their pocket and pulling the two envelopes out, showing them to me before placing them back.

"Alright, be reponsible! Your mother is already off on her trip with the Plant coven, so we have the house for the whole week! So don't worry about your mother's impossible standards. Have fun you two! Oh! Whisper's-"
"Yes sir?"
"Take good care of my daughter" Dad winked before walking out to the living room. Raine and I laughed before heading downstairs and out the door. 
The house was starting to fall apart badly. The floors were beginning to crack, and the wallpapers were peeling. We can't seem to keep up with it's decaying state.

"Sorry that mom took my staff, I wish we didn't have to walk the whole way" I slumped as we walked through town, people staring at us before realising where we were heading. Not everyone gets to go to these, mostly promising young witches who just joined, you have to earn an invite through performance, but Newbies take a slight priority. Even then, only the most promising of the newbies get invites.

Raine got their because of their talent, I got mine because of a magic outburst that blew the stage up. Raine's friends were allowed because they worked hard, Odalia, however, is only coming because of Alador, she aparently caused quite the scene when she didn't originally get one, she made Alador get his family name involved to make her shut up. Lilith's been in the Emporer's coven for a long time now, a few years I believe, she's moving up the ranks very quickly, so she basically always gets an invite. 

Each person is allowed one guest, last year Lilith took Steve. 
We all teased her for it, like the children we truly are, I mean we're 18, we may be adults, but we're still kids at heart. 

"I don't mind walking that much, gives me time to spend with my pretty awesome girlfriend" they blushed, trying to flirt but failing. Their awkwardness, I loved it. After about 20 minutes, we made it, we were late, but the guards still let us in.

Once in the ballroom, everyone was dancing to the upbeat music, we walked to our friends, who were sitting at a table near the stage. Darius was in a purple suit, with black pants. Alador and Odalia were wearing a light purple set, Odalia's dress having the oracle pattern on the skirt. Lilith was wearing a mint green short dress with a brown vest.

"Everyone, you remember YN" Raine gestured to me as everyone said hello. We sat down, Alador coming back with a tray of drinks and snacks. The snacks were gross fru fru stuff, but the drinks were nice.