close

I turn around to see my mother standing in front of me.
"Mom," I exclaim, a big smile forming on my face as I look at her. She smiles back at me and raises her arms to hug me.

"Since when are you here?" I ask her happily. "We arrived three hours ago."
"Where's dad?"
"He's grocery shopping right now since you ate everything up," she answers with a chuckle and nudges me in the side. I twist slightly, defending myself as I huff out a laugh. "Yeah I wanted to do that later. How was your trip?" I ask her.
"It went pretty good. We achieved a new cooperation with a business partner of us," she answers pretty fast while looking at the helmet on the floor.

"Who picked you up, honey?"
"Oh uhm," I consider lying to her for a split second, quickly coming to the conclusion that it wouldn't be any use. She has a built-in lie detector, I swear.
"About that," I start, trying to come up with a phrasing that doesn't sound as bad as it already is. "You won't believe who moved back here."
I already know what's about to happen in three, two, one-

"Oh honey, not again please-"
"I know what you're about to say and I'm gonna stop you right there. We're just friends. We both grew up in the past two years and it's different from back then, okay?" I say reassuringly but also with a hint of annoyance in my voice.

It really is different this time.
I don't know why he was so nice to me today but his warning was as clear as it could have been. He doesn't want me to intervene in his business and I won't. That's it.

She raises her eyebrows and exhales heavily. "If you say so. When did he come back? And how are his parents?"
"He came back about one month ago. I actually don't know. He's living alone but he said they're doing well. They stayed with his grandma but he wanted to come back." I answer.

"He's living alone? Isn't he only nineteen?" "Yes. I don't know I haven't talked with him about that yet."
"And how's he doing?" my mom asks me.
"He's doing very good."

Indeed. The asshole probably couldn't do any better.

"Great, that's good to hear," she turns around and starts walking toward the living room but then stops and turns back to me. "Oh and we're going over to the Williams' house later. Just to let you know. You'll be there anyway, right?"

"Actually, no. I wanted to stay home and study a little," I lie smoothly, because that was only partly untrue. I did indeed want to study for an upcoming biology test. And the part about Aryan coming over; she doesn't have to know that. He'll probably just bring over my stuff and then leave again.
She nods and goes to the living room. I knew exactly she wanted to say something but resisted the urge.

I grab my bag and helmet and go upstairs to change into some black sweatpants and a sports bra. I throw on a white hoodie and leave to go to the gym.
It's leg day so I'm currently squatting with weights. In between my sets I'm always on my phone.

I'm just finishing one set when Siri announces a new message from Amy in my earphones.

"From imessage: Amy sent a video."

I furrow my brows, putting the weight down to go grab my phone and watch it.
It's a screen recording from a videoclip of someone's Insta story.
And in the background you can see me and Aryan taking shots.

My heart skips a beat and I bear myself for the incoming shitstorm I'm going to receive, especially once the part where the kiss plays.

Thankfully, at least that doesn't show in the clip. I let out a relieving breath. It could really be worse.

the fuck's that? I thought you were at your aunt's?!?!

Deciding to text her later, I finish my workout and go home to talk to my dad, who arrived by now. Then I go and take a shower. I'm surprised mom didn't tell him about Aryan, or that he didn't say anything if she did.
Afterwards I get dressed and scroll through my Insta feed when suddenly a message pops up.