Chapter 16 - bad timing

Horikemo: "Ah, hello hololovers !"

Horikemo: "You know I never thought about why I keep using the plural of that word-"

Horikemo: "But then again, the 's' makes it sound a lot better and I suppose it makes sense seeing as not only one girl is after you, but quite a few, haha !"

Horikemo: "Now then, I suppse it's time I put something new into this room of ours !"

He opens a drawer and takes a key out of it, putting it on the table.

Horikemo: "Terrible memory is a curse right ?"

Horikemo: "I'm not the only one effected by it, in fact a lot people are such as our friendly owl !"

Horikemo: "But sometimes it can be to hold back memories we suppress or do not want to remember, so in a way our own brain is trying to save us from going insane, which if you think about it has done a lot !"

Horikemo: "Unless you have a photographic memory, in which case you'd have quite the big problems in life despite people perhaps envying you cause you're acing every test or bringing up quite interesting facts with no problem. !

Horikemo: "But on the other side of the coin you cannot forget even the worst of things that have happened to you or that you have seen, so is it really a blessing or a curse ?"

Horikemo: "Well if you asked me... which probably no one did, but anyways, it's a curse, yes remembering everything so clearly would be quite the convenience... but the downside is not worth it even in the slightest !"

Horikemo: "Thought wouldn't it be interesting if you could just unlock your memories with a key just like you'd with a lock ?"

He chuckles and shakes his head.

Horikemo: "Right, I wasted too much of your time already, I'm sorry !"

Horikemo: "I hope you enjoy this chapter and I'll see you later as usual... I think !"

*POV Y/n:*

Not wanting to cause her more concern I think of the mask I had used back when Suisei and me got our revenge on Pekora and blink, finding it in my hand.

'Alright, here goes nothing.'

Putting the mask on I approach her, saying nothing as she just stares at me also staying quiet.

When I'm finally standing next to her I sit down, still silent, knowing if I say anything now I might break down any second.

'I have to say composed for now, I'll... just let it all out later, yeah, just gonna let it all out later... wait shit, does she even know it's me !?'

She leans her head against my shoulder catching me off guard at first, but when I turn over to look at her I notice there's tears in her eyes.

'Okay, she does, I guess now is my perfect chance to say something though, but... I just, can't right now...'

I hold out my hand for her, waiting a bit until she clutches it tightly now slightly sobbing as tears run down her face.

'Fuck I hate being the knight in shining armor or some shit like that... but I can't let someone down like this.'

Taking a deep breath I compose myself and smile while looking up at the stars.

Y/n: "Rough day huh ?"

Polka: "Mhm..."

Y/n: "Haha, same, well if you wanna talk about it I'm right here you know ?"

She doesn't say anything, instead staying silent while crying.