Chapter 1

If I'd known love was going to break me, I would have run far away from it.

"Fairy tales to me are never happy, sweet stories. They're moral stories about overcoming the dark side and the bad." -Joe Wright.

❥❥❥

The plane is crowded with people. The repetitive thuds of the plastic doors indicate the rush everyone felt to secure their belongings in the overhead bins.

Everybody rushes to find their seats. I do the same. I excuse myself to the older man, who moves so I can sit, thanking him with a smile. I look out the window, ignoring the knot in my throat, and I take out a book, hoping it'll keep me occupied.

Leaving everything behind is ironically hard. It's funny how it can still hurt you to leave the very people who have hurt you. I will never understand why if I'm being honest. I hate feeling like I'm doing something bad. Like I should just stand up from my seat and pound on the door until they land the plane and I can get out. Go back to the life I've always known, but that's the problem; I can't go back.

My frustration builds as I battle to focus on my book, amidst a flood of distracting thoughts.

I give up on reading together and plug an earbud in, You're Not Sorry by Taylor Swift plays on Pandora.

The song brings bittersweet memories from home. A home that never left like home.

I quickly swipe away a tear and switch to a different song. I'm determined to daydream cheerful thoughts of countless possibilities of my soon-to-be new life.

I'm excited to be able to stay at a hotel all by myself. Though it'll only be for one day.

This is the first time I will also be in the city, the first time I'll be all by myself. I sense myself getting used to the idea of being free. I know my life is about to change. I know all good things are finally coming my way.

"Good morning to everyone! As of now, it is 4:34 am with a comfortable temperature of 65 degrees. Kindly take your seats and fasten your seatbelts as we will be landing shortly." The captain says through the intercom of the plane.

As I gaze out the window, I can see the distant shadows of numerous buildings. The bright city lights give the impression that the world never sleeps, even at this hour.

The buildings seem to draw nearer as we approach the airport, and I can't help but feel a sense of relief wash over me.

Welcome home.

❥❥❥

I look up at the dark glass building. The top windows glow with the hue of the sun that's now rising. My lips pull upwards into a smile before finally walking towards the entrance to pick up my key.

The first thing I do once I'm inside my room is run toward the large window in front of the bed.

The sun in the distance filter over other tall buildings, gifting them with a beautiful golden glow.

The alarm on my phone rings and I nearly throw the phone to the wall when I can't find the snooze button. With the heavy feeling of exhaustion, my mood quickly lifts when I remember today is the day I finally get to see the campus in person and meet with the dean for a tour.

Squealing and jumping off the bed in a heave of excitement. I knock over my suitcase and fall to my knees. I groan and curse under my breath, the burning sensation making my eyes water.