Chapter 14

Maia

La Unica Cafe was busy today, I'm standing near the door in line, tapping my foot on the ground impatiently. I'm starving and I don't wish to wait this long but I crave the food here. I'll wait.

After almost thirty whole minutes of waiting, it's finally my turn. Ordering two bowls, one with chicken and another with beef. I stand to the side to wait.

Thanking the cashier as she hands me my order, my eyes scan the cafe for an empty table. Shortly after, I spot a two-chair aluminum table.

Taking both bowls out of the bag, I place the beef across me and the chicken bowl in front of me. Just in time, Alyssa makes her way to where I'm sitting, pulling the chair away causing a loud scraping noise that echoed across the cafe, eyes turning our way.

With my hands covering my face in embarrassment, I peeked at Alyssa between my fingers. Finally taking her seat I drop my hands and look at her.

"That was so loud." Grabbing the fork and stabbing some chicken into it.

"I know, how awkward." Opening her bowl, she sniffs in the aroma, her eyes rolling back.

I had texted her to meet me for lunch fifteen minutes ago. Of course, she happily accepted free food. We have grown closer since Danny played us and I'm so happy it brought us closer instead of apart.

We chit-chat about everything; school, friends, gossip, even about the club we will attend later today. I invited Melody of course and Alyssa invited a few friends to go with us too. Supposedly the more the better.

Staring out the window, I lift the fork into my mouth with the last bite of rice, black beans, chicken, guacamole, and chicken. My eyes follow Michael's figure who's standing outside under a leafless tree, talking with a group of guys. I'm genuinely surprised no girls are surrounding him.

My eyes follow his every move. My head automatically relived our last conversation, "There's no competition, you already won." What does that even mean? He's a confusing man that's for sure, but I wish to hear those words again, again, and again.

Wearing black sweatpants and a matching black shirt, I don't need to be close to knowing how tight-fitted the shirt looks around his muscular chest and arms. He's the definition of perfection, his sharp jawline is well-defined and the guy looks hot wearing Nike shoes, as weird as it may sound.

"Ah, I'm assuming you're drooling over Michael? Or maybe Matt?" Alyssa raises an eyebrow at me before looking out the window again.

With sweaty palms, I force myself to look away from the group, "who's Matt?" Wanting to kick myself immediately. I just gave away that I was indeed drooling over Michael. I shamefully stare at the table and play with my empty bowl.

"Well, that settles it then. I don't blame you, Michael is nice in the eyes but I wouldn't go there if I were you. He's not a relationship type of guy and will more than likely break your heart. Plus I hear he does illegals stuff."

Chewing my bottom lip, I won't confirm nor deny his illegal drug deals.

"You know something I don't?" Alyssa falls back on her chair, her arms crossed and her lips perked up, wanting answers.

I buried my face in my hands, wanting to hide the redness of my embarrassment.
Embarrassed because I knew from the beginning I shouldn't be interested in him. I knew he was a player or at least; he wasn't the type of guy who committed. I also knew he did drugs and sold them— I saw him give someone drugs for money once but had confirmation the day I was in his room.