38

DTE will have 50 chapters plus Epilogue. Yay, malapit na! Btw, snippets/sneak peeks for Enemy's Property (Carlos Lorenzo's story) is already posted too. You can check them out. Happy reading, enjoy!

+ + + + +
Chapter 38
''Thirsty''

Juan Francisco de Leon won again in the election.

Their family held a long week celebration for the people because of it. Naimbitahan kami sa lahat ng kanilang party pero pinaunlakan lamang ang pinakahuli. Whenever we needed to present our family, lahat kami ay pumupunta. Kaya lamang ay naging abala ang aking mga magulang sa Maynila kaya hindi makakasama ngayon. My grandfather and I were the only ones who went to the party.

The last party they are holding is the most formal and the grandiest. Well-known families, prominent people, and their business partners were the ones invited.

I chose a dress that will go with the look my make up artist will do for me. A formal one and dress that isn't revealing too much skin too. The one who did my makeup, let my hair down, brushed my hair backwards and put something to make it look like my hair's wet. When nothing is covering my face, my sharp features stand out. She did a wet makeup look on my face as well.

I took a lot of pictures of me in front of the mirror. And I asked someone to take a proper photo of me too. After, I sent them all to Javier.

I bit my lip to stop myself from smiling too widely. At halos mabitawan ko pa ang cellphone ko nang makitang tumatawag si Javier pagkatapos kong ipadala ang mga larawan ko. I answered his call and we talked for a while before we ended it, because my grandfather and I already need to leave our house.

Wala si Javier. He couldn't make it today because his board exam is scheduled tomorrow. Still, he didn't forget to call me a while ago to ask if I'll be okay. Ngayon na wala siya mukhang nag-aalala na siya na kakainin ako nang buo ng kanyang pamilya. I assured him that I'll be fine since I'm with my grandfather.

I met the De Leon siblings the moment we stepped on the venue. We chatted for a few minutes before we parted ways. Tinawag kasi sila ng magulang kaya bumalik na din ako sa aming mesa.

The Montecarlos were invited too. At kahit naka-upo lamang ako ay hindi nakaligtas sa aking mga mata ang ilang bagay. Though we are all in the same place, there was an invisible wall that separated the two families. The Montecarlos stayed on the right side and the De Leons on the left side. While our family, was at the center.

One glanced at the entrance and I almost had a heart attack when I thought Javier came. Ngunit ibang tao iyon. He has an uncanny resemblance with Javier yet the man was more mature because of age. He's more intimidating and has a darker expression. Linked on his arms is an elegant and sophisticated woman, who I believe is his wife. Javier's parents graced the venue with tension adding more to the heavy atmosphere.

I shook my head. Masyado akong maraming iniisip.

Our family stood up and went to socialize with the others. I wore my smile-like clothes on my lips. Suot-suot at hindi matanggal habang nakikipagkamayan sa mga taong ipinakikilala ni Lolo. My face only relaxed when we met the Montecarlos.

''You shouldn't try so hard you know.'' bulong ni Apollo nang lumapit sa aking tabi.

Napasimangot ako. He must have seen everything.

''Right. My jaw will lock if I don't relax my lips.'' I joked while massaging my face a bit.

Apollo's lips only rose for a smile. I was about to tease him too. Pero naagaw ang atensyon ko nang tinawag ng mga nakatatanda. Senyora was there, with Heidi, Lukas, Carlos' parents, along with a familiar couple, who I think Apollo's parents. I remember them mentioning Apollo's name before. Marami ang mga Montecarlo ngayon. But I noticed that Carlos Lorenzo isn't around.